-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
Los Angeles wildfires costliest in history: Munich Re
German reinsurance giant Munich Re said Wednesday that last month's huge wildfires in Los Angeles had been the costliest "in the history of the insurance industry".
Munich Re, which acts as an insurer for insurers, said it expected some 1.2 billion euros ($1.3 billion) in loss claims from the fires.
The estimate was "subject to a high degree of uncertainty owing to the complexity of the losses incurred", the group said in a statement.
Nonetheless, the figure would represent "the most substantial wildfire losses in the history of the insurance industry", Munich Re said.
The conflagration around the United States' second city burned for three weeks, forcing thousands of residents to evacuate their homes.
The fires destroyed thousands of structures, affecting the affluent Pacific Palisades neighbourhood of Los Angeles, Malibu and the community of Altadena in the wider county.
Private meteorological firm AccuWeather has estimated the total damage and economic loss at between $250 billion and $275 billion.
The impact of the wildfires would show up in Munich Re's results for the first quarter of 2025 but the group said it was well prepared to absorb the costs from such natural catastrophes.
Munich Re had "reduced the risk (to the group) compared to maybe five years ago", chief financial officer Christoph Jurecka told reporters.
From an insurance perspective, the wildfires in Los Angeles were "no problem at all", CEO Joachim Wenning said.
"Risks that lead to major damage are part of our business," Wenning said, adding that Munich Re would continue to cover wildfires as long as the compensation was appropriate.
- Full-year result -
For 2024, the reinsurance group said it had booked a net profit of 5.7 billion euros, in line with the estimates of analysts surveyed by the financial data firm FactSet.
In the fourth quarter of 2024, Munich Re's net profit came in at 979 million euros, a three-percent decline on the same period in the previous year.
Total claims from major disasters cost the group 3.9 billion euros, 2.6 billion euros of which were related to natural catastrophes.
The most significant of these was Hurricane Helene, which swept through the southeastern United States in late September, racking up 0.5 billion euros in costs for Munich Re.
Hurricane Milton, which made landfall in Florida later last year, generated losses of 400 million euros for Munich Re in the fourth quarter.
Despite the huge damages caused by the Los Angeles wildfires, Munich Re said it still expected to see net profit rise to six billion euros in 2025.
Revenues were expected to total 64 billion euros in the year ahead, the group said.
G.AbuGhazaleh--SF-PST