-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
Trump says trade deal with China 'possible'
US President Donald Trump suggested on Wednesday that a trade deal was "possible" with China -- a key target in the US leader's tariffs policy.
In 2020, the United States had already agreed to "a great trade deal with China" and a new deal was "possible," Trump told reporters.
Asked about the comments, Beijing's foreign ministry said Thursday the two countries should handle trade tensions with "mutual respect."
One month into his second term in office, Trump has threatened sweeping tariffs on allies and adversaries alike -- targeting China as well as neighbors Canada and Mexico, and the European Union -- and using levies as his main policy tool for lowering the massive US trade deficit.
At the beginning of February, he slapped additional customs duties of 10 percent on all products imported from China.
Beijing's foreign ministry said Thursday that China and the US "should resolve their concerns through dialogue and consultation based on equality and mutual respect."
"Trade and tariff wars have no winners and only serve to damage the interests of people all over the world," ministry spokesman Guo Jiakun said at a regular press briefing.
At a separate news conference, China's commerce ministry said Beijing "urges the US side not to wield the big stick of tariffs at every turn, using tariffs as a tool to engage in coercion all around."
Trump is also threatening to impose 25 percent tariffs on all imported cars, and similar or higher duties on pharmaceuticals and semiconductors as he turns up the heat on some of the biggest US trading partners.
He also told journalists aboard Air Force One on Wednesday that his administration was considering lumber tariffs of "maybe 25 percent" in the coming months.
The president also initially announced tariffs of 25 percent on all Canadian and Mexican imports, before U-turning hours before they were due to come into effect, granting a one-month reprieve in principle until March 1.
And he signed executive orders last week imposing new 25 percent tariffs on steel and aluminum imports, due to come into effect on March 12.
- Exemptions requested -
Experts have warned it is often Americans who pay the tariffs on US imports -- not the foreign exporter.
Beijing has responded to the US tariffs with customs duties of 15 percent on coal and liquefied natural gas and 10 percent on oil and other goods, such as agricultural machinery and vehicles.
China is the country with the largest trade surplus with the United States in goods -- $295.4 billion in 2024, according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis, which reports to the US Department of Commerce.
US ally Japan last week said it had asked the United States to be exempt from Trump's tariffs on steel and aluminum exports, and has underlined the importance of its auto industry.
Tokyo's trade minister is arranging a visit to the United States in the coming weeks to further push for exemptions, Japanese media reported Thursday.
Yoji Muto was expected to meet US officials including new commerce secretary Howard Lutnick before March 12, when the 25 percent tariffs on steel and aluminum imports were set to come into effect, Kyodo News said.
Trump's latest remarks on tariffs came as the European Union's trade chief vowed Wednesday that the bloc would respond "firmly and swiftly" to protect its interests if Washington imposes tariffs on EU goods.
Maros Sefcovic rejected Trump's claim that US-EU trade ties were unfair, calling them the "very definition of a win-win partnership."
But he signaled the EU's willingness for dealmaking, such as the possibility of reducing or eliminating tariffs on autos and other products.
"If we are going to talk about lowering the tariffs, even eliminating the tariffs, let's say for industrial products, this would be something which we are ready to discuss," he said.
Within the 27-nation EU, Germany has by far the largest trade surplus with the United States, largely thanks to its automobile industry and chemical giants such as Bayer and BASF, according to the European statistics agency, Eurostat.
burs-mjw/je/fox
Z.AbuSaud--SF-PST