-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
Ceasefire in Iran-Israel war takes hold
A fragile ceasefire in the Iran-Israel war appeared to be holding Tuesday, after 12 days of strikes that saw Israel and the United States pummel the Islamic republic's nuclear sites.
US President Donald Trump, who had first declared the ceasefire, on Tuesday told Israel "do not drop those bombs" on Iran.
In Israel, no warning sirens sounded after 0745 GMT, while in Iran, the military reported the last strikes at around 0530 GMT.
Israel said it had agreed to Trump's ceasefire plan, adding that it had achieved all its objectives.
Iran stopped short of officially accepting the proposal, but its top security body said the Islamic republic's forces had "compelled" Israel to "unilaterally" cease fire.
Its foreign minister, Abbas Araghchi, had earlier said that if Israel stopped "its illegal aggression," Tehran would have "no intention" to continue fighting.
"ISRAEL. DO NOT DROP THOSE BOMBS," Trump said on his Truth Social platform, hours after he said the truce had taken effect. "IF YOU DO IT IS A MAJOR VIOLATION. BRING YOUR PILOTS HOME, NOW!"
The US leader had said the truce would be a phased 24-hour process beginning at around 0400 GMT Tuesday, with Iran unilaterally halting all operations first. He said Israel would follow suit 12 hours later.
"THE CEASEFIRE IS NOW IN EFFECT. PLEASE DO NOT VIOLATE IT!" Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform.
The Israeli government said: "Last night, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu convened the cabinet... to announce that Israel had achieved all the objectives of Operation 'Rising Lion' and much more."
It added that it had removed "an immediate dual existential threat: nuclear and ballistic".
"Israel will respond forcefully to any violation of the ceasefire," the statement said, while the army added that the "danger persists" despite the truce announcement.
- 'Respond forcefully' -
After Trump said the truce had taken hold, Israel's Defence Minister Israel Katz said he had ordered the army "to respond forcefully" to what he described as a ceasefire violation after incoming Iranian missiles were reported by the military.
Iran however denied launching missiles at Israel after the announcement, and its military later accused Israel of similarly launching attacks after the ceasefire.
But attacks had continued until the ceasefire took effect, with Israeli rescuers reporting four people killed in a strike and state media in the Islamic republic saying waves of missiles were headed toward Israel.
In Iran, state television said an overnight Israeli strike in northern Iran killed nuclear scientist Mohammad Reza Seddighi Saber, who was under US sanctions.
- Strikes on US base -
Israel launched strikes against Iran on June 13, hitting nuclear and military sites as well as residential areas, and prompting waves of Iranian missile attacks on Israel.
While Iran and Israel have been in a shadow war against each other for decades, this has been by far the most destructive confrontation between the arch-foes.
The war has also seen US strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities, followed by an Iranian missile launch towards the largest US military facility in the Middle East -- Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar.
Calling for de-escalation, Trump said Tehran had given advance notice of the barrage.
Iran's National Security Council confirmed having targeted the base "in response to the US aggressive and insolent action against Iran's nuclear sites and facilities".
It added that the number of missiles launched "was the same as the number of bombs that the US had used" against Iran.
Ali Vaez, Iran project director for the International Crisis Group, told AFP: "This was calibrated and telegraphed in a way that would not result in any American casualties, so that there is an off ramp for both sides."
According to a US defence official, the attack was conducted using "short-range and medium-range ballistic missiles".
The assault came after the United States joined its ally Israel in the war with Iran, attacking an underground uranium enrichment centre with massive bunker-busting bombs and hitting two other nuclear facilities.
- Hopes for truce -
AFP reporters heard blasts in central Doha and in Lusail, north of the capital, on Monday evening, and saw projectiles moving across the night sky.
Some Israelis on Tuesday welcomed the prospect of a truce after 12 days of intense fighting.
"I really hope so," said Tel Aviv resident Tammy Shel of the prospect of a lasting ceasefire.
"Really. I am so tired. Everyone is tired. We just want to have some peace of mind... For us, for the Iranian people, for the Palestinians, for everyone in the region. For all human beings."
Israeli strikes on Iran have killed at least 610 civilians and wounded more than 4,700 others, according to the health ministry.
Iran's attacks on Israel have killed 28 people, according to official figures and rescuers.
Saudi Arabia and the European Union welcomed Trump's announcement of a ceasefire, while China urged Iran and Israel to seek a "political resolution" to their conflict and Turkey called on both sides to fully stop hostilities.
French President Emmanuel Macron said there was an "increased" risk that Iran would attempt to enrich uranium secretly following US and Israeli strikes on nuclear sites.
burs-ser/dv
E.AbuRizq--SF-PST