-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
London Fashion Week launches with ode to gender fluid designs
London Fashion Week opens Thursday with designer Harris Reed's striking silhouettes celebrating gender fluid fashion, kicking off a slimmed down schedule with several absentees.
The queer British-American designer and creative director at Nina Ricci will showcase designs from his eponymous label, which he describes as "Romanticism Gone Nonbinary", in one of the most electrifying shows of the LFW Autumn-Winter 2025 calendar.
Reed's distinctive, theatrical designs, often involving wallpaper panels and even vintage upholstery, are set to descend on the runway at London's iconic Tate Britain art gallery.
The 28-year-old designer behind the tulle skirt worn by Harry Styles on the famous Vogue US cover in 2020 has caught the eye of celebrities from Lil Nas X to Adele and Beyonce.
His fan base grew further last year when he styled actress Lily Collins in a viral black-and-white striped catsuit for the popular TV show "Emily in Paris".
From Friday morning, regulars of the event organised by the British Fashion Council (BFC) will take over runways, including Erdem, Simone Rocha, Richard Quinn, and Roksanda, before closing with the Burberry show on Monday evening.
The brand with its iconic tartan print, which is going through a difficult period, is the subject of rumours about the departure of its creative director Daniel Lee, who arrived a little over two years ago and has struggled to modernise the house.
Lee could be replaced by English designer Kim Jones, who left Dior Men at the end of January after seven years, according to several media reports.
One confirmed absence from London's runways will be JW Anderson, the label by Northern Irish designer Jonathan Anderson, who is also the creative director at the Spanish fashion house Loewe.
The timing is likely not a coincidence, with the designer reportedly poised to take the reins at Dior.
Anderson, who was named the 2024 Designer of the Year at the British Fashion Awards, was also absent during the men's fashion weeks at Milan and Paris, where Loewe, owned by LVMH, usually showcases.
- 'Challenging time' -
For the first time, this year young designers who are part of the BFC's NEWGEN programme will have to describe how their collections comply with minimum sustainability standards.
The BFC, which funds this incubator for emerging talent, is following in the footsteps of the smaller, eco-conscious Copenhagen Fashion Week, which has adopted the policy since 2023.
This new framework is due to be eventually rolled out across all LFW brands.
The BFC also announced in November it was banning the use of wild animal skins, such as alligator or snake, following its ban on fur in 2023.
However, the move was largely symbolic since none of those showing at LFW used exotic skins.
Luxury brands which still use snake or crocodile skin leather like Hermes, LVMH and Prada do not show at LFW, which has seen an exodus of big-name brands to Paris, Milan and New York in the last decade.
This edition of LFW has been shortened by one day compared to the 2024 Autumn-Winter collections, marked by the absence of young designers like Molly Goddard and Sinead O'Dwyer.
Independent designers Dilara Findikoglu and Conner Ives, on the programme this time, have limited themselves to one show a year, while others like 16Arlington and Tolu Coker have opted for a dinner party or presentation instead of a pricier runway.
BFC director Caroline Rush acknowledged it was "a particularly challenging time" for British brands, which have been dealt several blows following the pandemic, such as Brexit and last year's closure of the global luxury online platform Matches Fashion.
"We have been working very closely with those businesses and many more to help get them through this challenging period," she told AFP.
Rush, who is organising her last London Fashion Week, said the first question she was asked when she took up the helm 16 years ago was whether London Fashion Week remained relevant.
It remains "so relevant because particularly in London where we have so many small independent businesses, they need a platform to be able to show to reach global audiences," she said.
She will be replaced by Laura Weir, creative director of the British department store Selfridges and a former journalist who worked for British Vogue.
The UK fashion industry directly employs 800,000 people and contributes almost £30 billion to the economy, according to the Fashion Council's figures.
W.Mansour--SF-PST