-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
Trump signs orders for steel, aluminum tariffs to start March 12
US President Donald Trump signed executive orders to impose 25 percent tariffs on steel and aluminum imports from March 12, ramping up a long-promised trade war despite warnings from Europe and China.
The European Union swiftly vowed to retaliate with "firm and proportionate countermeasures".
In an executive order released Monday, Trump said: "As of March 12, 2025, all imports of aluminum articles and derivative aluminum articles from Argentina, Australia, Canada, Mexico, EU countries, and the UK shall be subject to the additional ad valorem tariff."
He issued a separate order for steel, which said it would apply to all imports from the same countries the aluminum tariffs hit, as well as to Brazil, Japan and South Korea.
"I'm simplifying our tariffs on steel and aluminum," Trump said earlier in the Oval Office. "It's 25 percent without exceptions or exemptions."
The tariffs also appear to indirectly target China, with the executive orders detailing how certain countries -- particularly Mexico -- were "using" their exemptions to get Chinese imports into the United States.
"Chinese producers are using Mexico's general exclusion from the tariff to funnel Chinese aluminum to the United States through Mexico," it said.
Mexico's increased volume of steel imports from China also "support a conclusion that there is transshipment or further processing of steel mill articles... from countries seeking to evade quantitative restrictions."
Canada, Mexico and Brazil are among the biggest steel importers to the United States, followed by South Korea.
South Korea's acting President Choi Sang-mok vowed Tuesday to protect domestic firms' interests and reduce uncertainties "by building a close relationship with the Trump administration and expanding diplomatic options."
Trump had also signaled he would look at imposing additional tariffs on automobiles, pharmaceuticals and computer chips, and promised an announcement on Tuesday or Wednesday on broader "reciprocal tariffs" to match the levies other governments charge on US products.
During his 2017-2021 presidency, he had imposed sweeping tariffs as he believed US industries faced unfair competition from Asian and European countries.
- 'Misguided path' -
Canadian steelmakers warned of "massive" disruption, while the European Commission said it would "react to protect the interests of European businesses, workers and consumers from unjustified measures."
EU chief Ursula von der Leyen on Tuesday slammed Trump's decision, vowing the bloc would retaliate.
"Unjustified tariffs on the EU will not go unanswered -- they will trigger firm and proportionate countermeasures," she said in a statement.
German Chancellor Olaf Scholz said the bloc will provide a united front to Washington, though "I hope that we are spared the misguided path of tariffs and counter-tariffs."
French President Emmanuel Macron vowed in an interview aired Sunday to go head-to-head with Trump over his wider tariff threats against the European Union, though he also said the United States should focus its efforts on China.
Around 25 percent of European steel exports go to the United States, according to consultancy Roland Berger.
Britain's steel industry body called the tariff plan a "devastating blow."
Trump has already shown his fondness for weaponizing the United States' power as the world's largest economy, ordering tariffs on key trade partners China, Mexico and Canada soon after he took office.
He paused 25 percent levies against Canada and Mexico for a month after both countries vowed to step up measures to counter flows of the drug fentanyl and the crossing of undocumented migrants into the United States.
- Economic 'pain' to come? -
But Trump went ahead with tariffs on China, the world's second-biggest economy, with products entering the United States facing an additional 10 percent levy.
Chinese retaliatory tariffs targeting US coal and liquified natural gas came into play on Monday.
Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Guo Jiakun said "there is no winner in a trade war and tariff war."
Trump also focused on steel during a visit by Japanese Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba last week.
The American leader said he had secured an agreement for Japan's Nippon Steel to make a major investment in US Steel, instead of seeking to take over the troubled firm.
Trump has insisted the impact of any tariffs would be borne by foreign exporters without being passed on to US consumers, despite most experts saying the contrary.
But he did acknowledge this month that Americans might feel economic "pain" from the levies.
Wall Street's main indices finished up Monday despite the tariff threat, though Asian and European markets were mixed by Tuesday.
burs-dk/dhc/sco
B.Khalifa--SF-PST