-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
Ubisoft reviews restructuring options, postpones new Assassin's Creed
Ubisoft said Thursday it would take decisive steps to reshape itself as the French video game publisher announced it would delay the release of the latest title in its top "Assassin's Creed" franchise.
The announcement comes amid repeated delays of game releases, disappointing sales and buyout rumours.
The company is "actively exploring various strategic and capitalistic options to unlock the full value potential of our assets," chief executive Yves Guillemot said in a statement that announced disappointing holiday period sales of "Star Wars Outlaws".
The company's shares fell by more than 50 percent at one point last year as the game publisher postponed several releases and others faced an underwhelming response from gamers.
Rumours emerged of a buyout by the Guillemot family, which founded Ubisoft and is still the main shareholder, along with Tencent, the world's biggest game maker which also owns a stake.
"We are convinced that there are several potential paths to generate value from Ubisoft's assets and franchises," said Guillemot.
- Rough gaming year -
Despite the video game market continuing to grow, 2024 was a tumultuous year with waves of layoffs and studio closures.
Ubisoft said Thursday it now plans to make more than 200 million euros ($206 million) in cost savings in its 2025-2026 fiscal year compared with 2022-2023, and had last month closed three production studios in high-cost cities, including San Francisco and Osaka.
Ubisoft has a lot riding on the latest instalment of its flagship "Assassin's Creed" franchise, but was forced to postpone it from last year. On Thursday it announced another delay of one month in the release of "Assassin's Creed Shadows" to March 20.
"This additional time will allow the team to better incorporate the player feedback gathered over the past three months," the company said in a statement.
It also acknowledged that it had halted "XDefiant", released in May last year, its first foray into free games that encourage players to spend in the game and have been a major growth area for the industry.
Ubisoft said it expects net revenue in the final quarter of last year to come in at around 300 million euros ($310 million).
That was lower than the 380 million euros initially foreseen, "primarily reflecting lower than expected holiday sales, mainly for 'Star Wars Outlaws', as well as the discontinuation of 'XDefiant'."
For the 2024-2025 fiscal year that ends on March 31 it now expects 1.9 billion euros in revenue.
L.Hussein--SF-PST