-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
Blackstone strikes chord with $1.6 bn bid for UK music firm
Struggling UK music rights owner Hipgnosis Songs Fund agreed Monday to an improved $1.6-billion takeover from US private equity firm Blackstone, which trumped a rival bid from Concord.
The announcement is the latest twist in a bidding war which last week saw US music group Concord ramp up its offer to beyond Blackstone's previous bid for Hipgnosis, whose catalogue includes Justin Bieber, Shakira and Neil Young.
Hipgnosis and Blackstone "are pleased to announce that they have reached agreement on the terms and conditions of a recommended cash acquisition", the pair said in a statement.
They added: "The terms of the acquisition (from Blackstone) represent an attractive premium for Hipgnosis shareholders over the terms of the Concord revised offer.
"Accordingly the Hipgnosis shareholders are urged to take no action in respect of the Concord offer."
Blackstone has lifted its takeover offer from $1.24 per share to $1.30 per share, valuing HSF at about $1.57 billion.
That was also higher than Concord's $1.25-per-share bid, worth $1.5 billion, which had been recommended by management when it was announced last Wednesday. However, this recommendation has now been withdrawn.
"Blackstone appears to have emerged supreme in the bidding war for the Hipgnosis Songs Fund," commented Susannah Streeter, head of money and markets at Hargreaves Lansdown.
"It'll be fresh music to the ears for shareholders, who have seen their holdings jump in value as the bids sailed in."
HSF chair Robert Naylor added Monday that the board was "delighted" to unanimously recommend the Blackstone deal, which is expected to be finalised in the third quarter.
Hipgnosis -- co-founded in 2018 by guitarist and producer Nile Rodgers and Merck Mercuriadis, the former manager of Beyonce and Elton John -- manages the rights to more than 150 of the world's biggest song catalogues.
But the London-listed fund, which has been plagued by concerns over asset valuations, recently slashed the value of its songs catalogue by more than a quarter to $1.93 billion.
That came after Hipgnosis revealed in December that its first-half net losses tripled on tumbling sales.
A.AlHaj--SF-PST