-
Manifesto defends Germany's iconic Bauhaus against 'populist attacks'
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Kenya's Kipyegon ends season with hamstring injury
-
Wang downs Sindhu to break Indian hearts at badminton worlds
-
Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on movie about attack: media
-
As Europe's rivers recede, shippers scramble to limit damage
-
German football fans plan widespread VAR protests
-
Alonso won't confirm Fernandez will remain at Chelsea after Man City link
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
-
Milky Way's fastest star discovered spinning around black hole
-
Newly-crowned European champ Werro turns focus on 800m record
-
Kanye West planned concerts trigger frenzy in Russia
-
Hamilton 'fittest ever' as he chases eighth F1 title
-
Hungary music festival basks in post-Orban freedom
-
Stocks retreat as bond yield fears persist, oil rises
-
Vatican says 'serious concerns' over Israel-Lebanon deal implementation
-
ARKBRIDGE’s David Mali Highlights AI-Driven Risk Management at the Finance Magnates London Summit
-
Arteta confirms Arsenal want to sign defender after Konsa link
-
Zuckerberg buys Gothic castle in Ireland: spokesman
-
What's behind the UAE's decision to cut Iran trade ties?
-
Belgium's fire of the century now 'under control'
-
Barca seal Cancelo return to bolster defence
-
Evergrande's Xu Jiayin: from real-estate tycoon to life in prison
-
Germany reports record 14,000 heat-related deaths this summer
-
Spurs eyeing move for Man City's Savinho and Marmoush - reports
-
Alvarez 'focused' says new Atletico team-mate Romero
-
Springboks captain Kolisi to miss first All Blacks Test
-
West Ham warn fans about 'offensive' Solomon chant
-
Japan to launch probe for Mars moons in October: space agency
-
Huge questions loom over Prince Harry's shock return to UK
-
From beach to Bulls: relaxed Tsunoda savours rare F1 drive
-
BYDFi Joins Coinfest Asia 2026, Connecting with Institutions, Builders and Traders in Bali
-
Prince Harry: key dates in life of returning UK royal
-
Max Verstappen: Natural-born winner
-
North Korea launches missiles, Seoul says, after Trump floats Kim meet
-
Van Dijk urges Liverpool to make amends for 'unacceptable' season
-
Oil jumps on Iran war tensions, offsetting bond yield fears
-
All Blacks replace Tuipulotu with Holland for Springboks Test
-
Germany identifies far-right suspect in deadly 1970 antisemitic attack
-
Rain delays start of second day's play in England-Pakistan opener
-
PrimeXBT Expands Swap-Free Trading to PXTrader 2.0
-
Russian strikes kill 16 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Record number of locations in France top 40C over summer: AFP analysis
-
'It is tough': Indonesia battles wildfires, bracing for worse to come
-
Trump pledges 'economic warfare' on Iran, prompting Tehran derision
-
Seoul detects North Korean missile launches after Trump says to meet Kim
-
'Girl with a Pearl Earring' in Japan, perhaps for the last time
-
Thai, Myanmar military chiefs meet as post-coup thaw progresses
-
Russian strikes kill 13 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Asian stocks rally as US Treasury steps in to ease bond fears
'Extraordinary news': Dutch recover stolen gold Romanian helmet
Dutch authorities on Thursday showed off a recovered priceless gold 2,500-year-old helmet from Romania that was stolen last year during a brazen heist in the Netherlands.
Flanked by balaclava-clad police officers, a spokesman for Dutch prosecutors unveiled the 5th-century BC golden Helmet of Cotofenesti and two of the three gold bracelets stolen in January 2025.
Dutch police officer Corien Fahner said: "the Cotofenesti helmet and two Dacian gold bracelets have been returned and we are delighted to be able to announce this."
The search for the third bracelet is ongoing, said Fahner.
The theft had sparked outrage in Romania and prompted a huge police search.
Dutch art detective Arthur Brand had confirmed the find to AFP hours earlier on Thursday.
"It's amazing. It's the best news we could have got," said Brand.
A gang of robbers used firework bombs to break into the Drents Museum in the northern Netherlands in January 2025, and smashed display cases inside.
Three men are on trial for the theft but have largely remained silent in court.
Brand said he and police have been working their contacts to persuade the alleged robbers to hand over the helmet in exchange for a more lenient punishment.
"We were pretty sure it had not been melted down because there were only four days between the robbery and the arrests," said Brand.
"It's a fantastic job by the Dutch police."
Museum director Robert van Langh told reporters that there was a tiny bit of damage to the helmet, "very difficult even to see."
The helmet can be "completely restored to its original state," said van Langh, who added that the two bracelets were in "perfect condition."
Under huge pressure from Romania, Dutch authorities have made multiple attempts to convince the suspects to tell them where the treasures are stashed.
Police offered to halve the sentence of one suspect if he revealed the location of the helmet.
An undercover officer posing as a criminal mastermind reportedly offered another suspect 400,000 euros ($420,000) to tell him where the booty was hidden.
Police have also offered a reward of 100,000 euros for information leading to the helmet's recovery.
- 'People are devastated' -
The theft and the search for the Dacian artefacts has gripped the Netherlands and regularly makes headline news.
In the aftermath of the theft, then Romanian prime minister Marcel Ciolacu voiced outrage that "priceless objects" had been stolen and was considering claiming "unprecedented damages".
"You have no idea what the impact of this is on the Romanian community," Romanian cultural journalist Claudia Marcu, who has lived in the Netherlands since 2003, told public broadcaster NOS.
"When I heard about the theft I thought: for the Dutch this would be like (Rembrandt's) 'The Night Watch' being stolen. People are devastated."
The Dutch government had set aside 5.7 million euros ($6.5 million) for a likely payout following the brazen theft.
The pieces were on loan from a Bucharest museum, whose head was promptly sacked for lending the works out in the first place.
Dutch museums and galleries have been targeted by thieves in the past -- including in November when works by artist Andy Warhol were taken, as well as a Van Gogh stolen from a museum in 2020.
The heists have prompted calls for better security to protect valuable artworks.
Romanian Foreign Minister Oana Toiu described the find as "extraordinary news."
"It is so important not to give up when something is so valuable to multiple generations," said the minister.
E.Qaddoumi--SF-PST