-
Key European leaders demand Israel halt West Bank settlement project
-
'I heard you missed me': Melania Trump jokes about month out of spotlight
-
McIlroy bounces back to share BMW Championship lead
-
Amazon Prime Video to invest $2 bn in Latin America productions
-
Cobolli fueled by candy in sweet defeat of Paul
-
Panama Canal to reduce shipping over El Nino-fueled drought
-
Jailed Pakistan ex-PM Khan moved to hospital on court order: party
-
Maradona trial on hold over possible medical evidence mix-up
-
Pogacar eyes 'missing' piece ahead of Vuelta return
-
'Green dilemma': China's solar boom hurt birds, says study
-
US, Canada 'very close' to trade deal, Ottawa says, as details emerge
-
Pegula hangs on to dispatch Anisimova, reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
Ronaldinho returns in search of 'beautiful' 300th goal
-
US charges woman with IS-inspired plot to blow up New York State Capitol
-
US pushes allies, China to back Trump's economic war on Iran
-
What a record-breaking El Nino could mean for the world
-
Former NBA MVP Harden reportedly set to return to Cavaliers
-
Duplantis edges Karalis to win Lausanne Diamond League pole vault
-
Brook makes Pakistan pay for drop as England dominate first Test
-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
-
Europe heatwaves scorch 80 million with 40 C heat: AFP analysis
-
US Open purse to top $100 mn as Grand Slams form player council
-
Carrick insists Man Utd will make more signings after quiet transfer window
-
Hull aim to silence critics after unexpected promotion to Premier League
-
US warns allies, China to back economic war on Iran
-
Pakistan hit back against England after Cox and Root fifties
-
Manifesto defends Germany's iconic Bauhaus against 'populist attacks'
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Kenya's Kipyegon ends season with hamstring injury
-
Wang downs Sindhu to break Indian hearts at badminton worlds
-
Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on movie about attack: media
-
As Europe's rivers recede, shippers scramble to limit damage
-
German football fans plan widespread VAR protests
-
Alonso won't confirm Fernandez will remain at Chelsea after Man City link
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
-
Milky Way's fastest star discovered spinning around black hole
-
Newly-crowned European champ Werro turns focus on 800m record
-
Kanye West planned concerts trigger frenzy in Russia
-
Hamilton 'fittest ever' as he chases eighth F1 title
-
Hungary music festival basks in post-Orban freedom
-
Stocks retreat as bond yield fears persist, oil rises
-
Vatican says 'serious concerns' over Israel-Lebanon deal implementation
-
ARKBRIDGE’s David Mali Highlights AI-Driven Risk Management at the Finance Magnates London Summit
-
Arteta confirms Arsenal want to sign defender after Konsa link
Louvre heist probe: What we know
Thieves in October broke into the French capital's world-famous Louvre museum in broad daylight, escaping in under eight minutes with jewellery worth $102 million.
Three months on from the brazen heist, four suspects are in police custody but the jewels are still nowhere to be found.
Here is what we know -- and don't.
- Four detained -
Four men in their thirties, arrested in October and November, are suspected of being the team who conducted the theft on October 19, 2025.
The pair suspected of having broken in include Abdoulaye N., an unlicensed taxi driver turning 40 this month, who previously showed off his motorbike stunts on social media.
The other is a 35-year-old Algerian, who was detained in October as he was preparing to fly out of Paris.
A third suspect, aged 37, was involved in a previous theft with Abdoulaye N., while a fourth -- who is 38 -- hails from the same Paris suburb as the other three.
Investigating magistrates started questioning them this month, but have no significant leads so far, top Paris prosecutor Laure Beccuau has said.
A fifth suspect -- a 38-year-old woman who is the partner of the third suspect -- has been charged with being an accomplice, but released under judicial supervision pending a trial.
- 'Genuine preparation' -
There was "genuine preparation" before the heist, said Beccuau.
The robbers struck early on a Sunday morning, "when everything was slowly getting going at the museum", after locating and stealing a mover's truck with an extendable ladder to reach the first-floor gallery housing the French crown jewels.
After parking the truck below, two of the thieves hoisted themselves up the ladder in a furniture lift, the investigation has shown.
They broke a window and used angle grinders to cut glass cases containing the treasures, while the other two waited below.
They then lowered themselves down with their loot, and the four fled on high-powered motor scooters, dropping a diamond-and-emerald crown in their hurry.
But eight other items -- including an emerald-and-diamond necklace that Napoleon I gave his second wife, Empress Marie-Louise -- remain at large.
- DNA samples -
During the escape, "you can sense a certain amount of stress -- no doubt because they are actually doing it -- which means they end up dropping the jewellery and also leaving behind DNA traces," Beccuau said.
The first suspect -- the motorbike stuntman -- was identified after his DNA was found on broken glass and objects abandoned on site, while the second left genetic clues on a scooter as he fled.
The third -- and his female partner -- had left DNA on the furniture lift.
Further investigations and cross-checks led to the arrest of a fourth, suspected of having parked the truck under the museum gallery, said Beccuau.
- 'Not bunglers' -
Some observers may have called the burglars amateurs, but a source with knowledge of the probe said they were "not such bunglers after all".
"They had put their scooters and equipment in storage units and had disabled the video surveillance" nearby before the heist,he source said, speaking to AFP on condition of anonymity because they were not allowed to reveal details of the investigation.
Dressed as workmen in high-visibility jackets, they completed the whole burglary in just eight minutes.
After they abandoned their scooters for a van, it headed for the suburbs "to throw off the investigators by entering an area not covered by cameras", the source added.
"They then didn't call each other again and went back to their lives as if nothing had happened," the source said.
Contacted by AFP, lawyers of the suspects did not immediately respond or declined to comment.
- Poor security -
Poor security at the Louvre made the robber's getaway easier, a culture ministry probe found last month, even if they evaded security forces with just 30 seconds to spare.
Only one of two security cameras was working near the site where the intruders broke in, and agents in the security control room did not have enough screens to follow the images in real time.
- Missing jewellery -
Beccuau said it was still unclear if a third party ordered the heist -- or indeed where the jewellery might be.
Beccuau said there was no sign the spoils had crossed the French border, but investigators were relying on contacts abroad to signal if something suspicious showed up.
fbe-cco-jt-sm-mk-mca/ah/cw/abs
A.AlHaj--SF-PST