-
The Hong Kong Tiananmen vigil activists convicted in national security trial
-
Australia's Hussey mulls role with England for Ashes series
-
Eel-powered Japan whizz-kid, 11, chases Asian Games history
-
Indian captain 'scapegoat' in Britain's Russia shadow fleet case, wife says
-
Asian markets extend rally as traders assess US Treasuries pledge
-
Rosenior seeks to match Paris FC's capital ambition as Ligue 1 returns
-
Barcelona enter new era as Flick targets La Liga hat-trick
-
Inter set for Serie A title defence as Milan get Amorim reboot
-
Pogacar favourite for Vuelta with Grand Tour treble in sight
-
'Greatest' Springboks face All Blacks in clash of juggernauts
-
Bangladesh coach Simmons wary of Australia backlash in second Test
-
William and Harry: Britain's warring royal brothers
-
Hong Kong Tiananmen activists to receive national security verdict
-
UN holds second informal poll for next leader
-
Who are the candidates vying to lead the UN?
-
In US mining hub, black lung rates soar
-
Swiatek into Cincinnati semis after Rybakina injury
-
Champions Arsenal embrace being 'hunted' as Premier League returns
-
University suspends academic behind Jason Arday plagiarism charges
-
World No.2 Rybakina retires from Cincinnati clash with Swiatek
-
Key European leaders demand Israel halt West Bank settlement project
-
'I heard you missed me': Melania Trump jokes about month out of spotlight
-
McIlroy bounces back to share BMW Championship lead
-
Amazon Prime Video to invest $2 bn in Latin America productions
-
Cobolli fueled by candy in sweet defeat of Paul
-
Panama Canal to reduce shipping over El Nino-fueled drought
-
Jailed Pakistan ex-PM Khan moved to hospital on court order: party
-
Maradona trial on hold over possible medical evidence mix-up
-
Pogacar eyes 'missing' piece ahead of Vuelta return
-
'Green dilemma': China's solar boom hurt birds, says study
-
US, Canada 'very close' to trade deal, Ottawa says, as details emerge
-
Pegula hangs on to dispatch Anisimova, reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
Ronaldinho returns in search of 'beautiful' 300th goal
-
US charges woman with IS-inspired plot to blow up New York State Capitol
-
US pushes allies, China to back Trump's economic war on Iran
-
What a record-breaking El Nino could mean for the world
-
Former NBA MVP Harden reportedly set to return to Cavaliers
-
Duplantis edges Karalis to win Lausanne Diamond League pole vault
-
Brook makes Pakistan pay for drop as England dominate first Test
-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
-
Europe heatwaves scorch 80 million with 40 C heat: AFP analysis
-
US Open purse to top $100 mn as Grand Slams form player council
-
Carrick insists Man Utd will make more signings after quiet transfer window
-
Hull aim to silence critics after unexpected promotion to Premier League
Real-life horror to TV drama: Feared Syria sites become sets for series
At a Damascus air base once off-limits under Bashar al-Assad, a crew now films a TV series about the final months of the ousted leader's rule as seen through the eyes of a Syrian family.
"It's hard to believe we're filming here," director Mohamad Abdul Aziz said from the Mazzeh base, which was once also a detention centre run by Assad's air force intelligence branch, known for its cruelty
The site in the capital's southwestern suburbs "used to be a symbol of military power. Now we are making a show about the fall of that power", he told AFP.
Assad fled to Russia as an Islamist-led offensive closed in on Damascus, taking it without a fight on December 8 last year after nearly 14 years of civil war and half a century of Assad dynasty rule.
The scene at the Mazzeh base depicts the escape of a figure close to Assad, and is set to feature in "The King's Family" filmed in high-security locations once feared by regular Syrians.
The series is to be aired in February during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, prime-time viewing in the Arab world, when channels and outlets vie for the attention of eager audiences.
Dozens of actors, directors and other show-business figures who were opposed to Assad have returned to Syria since his ouster, giving the local industry a major boost, while other series have also chosen to film at former military or security sites.
- 'Impossible before' -
"It's a strange feeling... The places where Syria used to be ruled from have been transformed" into creative spaces, Abdul Aziz said.
Elsewhere in Damascus, his cameras and crew now fill offices at the former military intelligence facility known as Palestine Branch, where detainees once underwent interrogation so brutal that some never came out alive.
"Palestine Branch was one of the pillars of the security apparatus -- just mentioning its name caused terror," Abdul Aziz said of the facility, known for torture and abuse.
Outside among charred vehicles, explosions and other special effects, the team was recreating a scene depicting "the release of detainees when the security services collapsed", he said.
Thousands of detainees were freed when jails were thrown open as Assad fell last year, and desperate Syrians converged on the facilities in search of loved ones who disappeared into the prison system, thousands of whom are still missing.
Assad's luxurious, high-security residence, which was stormed and looted after he fled to Russia, is also part of the new series.
Abdul Aziz said he filmed a fight scene involving more than 150 people and gunfire in front of the residence in Damascus's upscale Malki district.
"This was impossible to do before," he said.
- 'Fear' -
The series' scriptwriter Maan Sakbani, 35, expressed cautious relief that the days of full-blown censorship under Assad were over.
The new authorities' information ministry still reviews scripts but the censor's comments on "The King's Family" were very minor, he said from a traditional Damascene house where the team was discussing the order of scenes.
Sakbani said he was uncertain how long the relative freedom would last, and was waiting to see the reaction to the Ramadan productions once they were aired.
Several other series inspired by the Assad era are also planned for release at that time, including "Enemy Syrians", which depicts citizens living under the eyes of the security services.
Another, "Going Out to the Well", directed by Mohammed Lutfi and featuring several prominent Syrian actors, is about deadly prison riots in the infamous Saydnaya facility in 2008.
Rights group Amnesty International had called the facility a "human slaughterhouse".
"The show was written more than two years ago and we intended to film it before Assad's fall," Lutfi said.
But several actors feared the former authorities' reaction and they were unable to find a suitable location since filming in Syria was impossible.
Now, they plan to film on site.
"The new authorities welcomed the project and provided extensive logistical support and facilities for filming inside Saydnaya prison," Lutfi said.
As a result, it will be possible "to convey the prisoners' suffering and the regime's practices -- from the inside the actual location", he said.
R.Halabi--SF-PST