-
Seville, Jefferson-Wooden roar to 100m wins at Silesia Diamond League
-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
Do not write Ireland off as a rugby force, says ex-prop Ross
Former France coach Philippe Saint-Andre is among those who believe Ireland are in decline as a rugby force, but two-time Six Nations title-winning Irish prop Mike Ross tells AFP they "will always be title contenders".
Ireland will be missing several key players when they kick off their bid to regain the Six Nations crown against title-holders France in Paris on Thursday.
A mixed bag of results last year included a hammering by France in Dublin in the Six Nations -- in which they finished third -- and dispiriting losses to New Zealand and world champions South Africa in November.
Saint-Andre told the Irish Times on Monday that Ireland "are not as good as two years ago".
Ross, who was capped 61 times and retired in 2017 having also won the European Cup twice with Leinster, is rather more upbeat.
"Ireland in my book will always be title contenders," he told AFP by phone.
"Having said that I favour France for the title, but I am fairly confident Ireland will be second.
"Yes, we also have to go to England but there is no greater motivation for an Ireland side than beating the English at Twickenham!"
Ross says one of the reasons for the disappointing results last November was down to so many Irish players featuring in the British and Irish Lions squad that won the 2025 Test series against Australia 2-1.
"A lot of the squad were on the Lions tour, which for many is an emotional high, the pinnacle of their careers.
"Returning to playing in the wind and the rain can be a bit of a come down and make it hard to focus again.
"However, I sincerely hope we will be better than we were in the Autumn Tests."
- 'Golden goose' -
Ross says the Irish have also had to adapt to a new style of rugby.
"There has had to be a period of adjustment to South Africa's style of maul, kick and chase and dominate the set-pieces," he said.
"It seems to be the new paradigm. Ireland have been caught between two stools, with their liking for the ruck, kicking long and picking up scraps."
The failure to settle on an undisputed first choice fly-half, since Irish great Johnny Sexton retired after the 2023 Rugby World Cup quarter-final defeat to the All Blacks, has been highlighted as a cause for concern.
Head coach Andy Farrell has alternated between Munster's Jack Crowley and Sam Prendergast of Leinster.
Crowley, who impressed as Sexton's understudy at the 2023 World Cup, enjoyed his finest moment at Test level in guiding the Irish to a 38-17 win over France in Marseille in the 2024 Six Nations.
However, he failed to nail down the number one spot and has shared the starting role with Prendergast for over a year.
Ross, though, thinks it is no bad thing to have an option for the playmaking role.
"I do not think it is a problem, I am all for the No 10 being chosen according to the tactics being deployed in a particular match, or the type of opposition one is facing," he said.
"I would not be surprised if we had both on the pitch at the same time.
"(Hugo) Keenan is injured so why not have Crowley at fullback? Defence is one of the strongest parts of his game."
Ross says even though the next World Cup in Australia is less than two years away, Farrell's hands are a bit tied in blooding too much fresh talent in the Six Nations.
Prize money is allocated according to a team's finishing position.
"That presents a problem for the IRFU as the Six Nations is the bread and butter for them, it is the commercial engine," he said.
"You want to give lads an opportunity but at the same time you do not want to sacrifice the golden goose.
"It is a fine line to walk."
K.AbuTaha--SF-PST