-
The Hong Kong Tiananmen vigil activists convicted in national security trial
-
Australia's Hussey mulls role with England for Ashes series
-
Eel-powered Japan whizz-kid, 11, chases Asian Games history
-
Indian captain 'scapegoat' in Britain's Russia shadow fleet case, wife says
-
Asian markets extend rally as traders assess US Treasuries pledge
-
Rosenior seeks to match Paris FC's capital ambition as Ligue 1 returns
-
Barcelona enter new era as Flick targets La Liga hat-trick
-
Inter set for Serie A title defence as Milan get Amorim reboot
-
Pogacar favourite for Vuelta with Grand Tour treble in sight
-
'Greatest' Springboks face All Blacks in clash of juggernauts
-
Bangladesh coach Simmons wary of Australia backlash in second Test
-
William and Harry: Britain's warring royal brothers
-
Hong Kong Tiananmen activists to receive national security verdict
-
UN holds second informal poll for next leader
-
Who are the candidates vying to lead the UN?
-
In US mining hub, black lung rates soar
-
Swiatek into Cincinnati semis after Rybakina injury
-
Champions Arsenal embrace being 'hunted' as Premier League returns
-
University suspends academic behind Jason Arday plagiarism charges
-
World No.2 Rybakina retires from Cincinnati clash with Swiatek
-
Key European leaders demand Israel halt West Bank settlement project
-
'I heard you missed me': Melania Trump jokes about month out of spotlight
-
McIlroy bounces back to share BMW Championship lead
-
Amazon Prime Video to invest $2 bn in Latin America productions
-
Cobolli fueled by candy in sweet defeat of Paul
-
Panama Canal to reduce shipping over El Nino-fueled drought
-
Jailed Pakistan ex-PM Khan moved to hospital on court order: party
-
Maradona trial on hold over possible medical evidence mix-up
-
Pogacar eyes 'missing' piece ahead of Vuelta return
-
'Green dilemma': China's solar boom hurt birds, says study
-
US, Canada 'very close' to trade deal, Ottawa says, as details emerge
-
Pegula hangs on to dispatch Anisimova, reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
Ronaldinho returns in search of 'beautiful' 300th goal
-
US charges woman with IS-inspired plot to blow up New York State Capitol
-
US pushes allies, China to back Trump's economic war on Iran
-
What a record-breaking El Nino could mean for the world
-
Former NBA MVP Harden reportedly set to return to Cavaliers
-
Duplantis edges Karalis to win Lausanne Diamond League pole vault
-
Brook makes Pakistan pay for drop as England dominate first Test
-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
-
Europe heatwaves scorch 80 million with 40 C heat: AFP analysis
-
US Open purse to top $100 mn as Grand Slams form player council
-
Carrick insists Man Utd will make more signings after quiet transfer window
-
Hull aim to silence critics after unexpected promotion to Premier League
Governance and rape allegations threaten famed French comics festival
One of the world's biggest comics festivals, which draws top graphic novelists and cartoonists each year, was close to cancellation on Wednesday after publishers pulled their support and the French government piled pressure on organisers.
The Angouleme International Comics Festival, held in January-February in the southwestern city, hands out annual prizes that are among the most coveted in the industry.
But it has been embroiled in a governance scandal since its most recent edition and faces allegations that an employee was fired after lodging a rape complaint.
After a boycott call earlier this month from major comics figures including "Maus" creator Art Spiegelman and 2025 winner Anouk Ricard, French publishing heavyweights issued a stark warning on Wednesday.
"Given this large-scale (boycott) movement which they understand, publishers believe that the 2026 edition can no longer take place," the French National Publishing Union (SNE), which represents 24 major publishers, said in a statement.
On Tuesday, the French government withdrew 200,000 euros ($231,000) of public subsidies for next year's event, putting a major hole its finances before the scheduled start on January 29.
Culture Minister Rachida Dati said she wanted to avoid the festival "becoming a disaster starting with the 2026 edition."
- Boycott calls -
At the heart of the scandal is the management model of the festival, which was first created in 1974 and has helped turn Angouleme into a centre of European production and comics expertise.
It is run by a non-profit association presided over by Delphine Groux, the daughter of co-founder Francis Groux, but has been organised by a private company, 9eArt+, since 2007.
The 9eArt+ director, Franck Bondoux, was the subject of an investigation by left-wing magazine l'Humanite before this year's event which accused him of mismanagement and an increasingly contested style.
It also reported that the company had dismissed an employee shortly after she reported being raped at the 2024 event.
"It is high time to turn the page on 9eArt+ so that the festival can regain, with new operators, the values that helped build its international reputation," read an open letter on November 10 signed by 22 former winners of the festival's top prize.
The company recently had its contract renewed beyond 2027, causing a backlash that led the managing association to reverse course under pressure.
The Angouleme festival is no stranger to controversy. In 2022, it had to cancel an appearance by French author Bastien Vives who faced criticism for his graphic novels depicting incest and sexualised children.
Other major international festivals include the Lucca Comics and Games event in Italy and Comiket in Japan.
R.AbuNasser--SF-PST