-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail £9.5mn
-
Trump announces temporary tariff relief on ground beef imports
-
Aligned Launches $ALIGN, the Native Token of Its Full Ethereum Stack
-
Pope to visit San Marino, address Italian political event
-
Bitcoin jumps, stocks bounce as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
All Blacks just as good as Springboks, says captain Savea
-
Man City boss Maresca hit with Doku injury blow
-
Romania holding suspected 'low-level agent' after pistols found near Berlin: Germany
-
Iraola wants to sign wingers to boost Liverpool's attacking options
-
UK forecasts 'biggest' El Nino will smash records, spark hottest year
-
Maresca needs time to succeed after 'big changes' at Man City
-
Cyclist Alaphilippe attracts tributes as reports say he has quit
-
Meghan faces difficult return to the UK
-
Top-ranked An, holder Yamaguchi reach badminton worlds semi-finals
-
Archer double strengthens England's grip on first Test against Pakistan
-
Iran president says time to end war while in position of strength
-
MEXC Lists Ondo Tokenized Stock Moderna (MRNAON), Expanding Access to U.S. Biotech Exposure
-
Antonelli fastest in sole Dutch GP practice session
-
Japan axes Netflix collaboration after outcry over dating show
-
2,500 dead and rising -- UN says DR Congo Ebola outbreak 'growing exponentially'
-
Stocks tread cautiously as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
England all out for 409, lead Pakistan by 238 runs in 1st Test
-
STARTRADER Launches XAUUSD247, Extending Gold CFD Access Across the Full Week
-
Premier League returns with Arsenal eyeing title dynasty
-
Spurs agree deal to sign Man City's Savinho: reports
-
Bayern knew about Musiala's condition 'a long time ago' says Kompany
-
US-sanctioned ICC head warns against 'demise of international rule of law'
-
Ex-Pakistan PM Khan taken back to jail after hospital checks
-
Top India court orders new steps to protect threatened elephants
-
Real Madrid star players are compatible: Mourinho
-
Djibouti football federation accused of misusing funds
-
Drovix Launches In-House Multi-Asset Liquidity and Execution Stack for Sub-Millisecond Fills, Tighter Spreads
-
Australia charges man with trying to pass Ukraine military intel to Russia
-
'So bad it's good': rough animated film becomes surprise Chinese hit
-
Ex-Pakistan PM Khan taken back to jail after hospital checks: govt
-
'I'll adapt': First pregnant candidate navigates French presidential race
-
China, Indonesia hold talks on security, defence
-
Hong Kong convicts Tiananmen vigil activists of inciting subversion
-
Train to nowhere? South Korea's lonely push for peace with the North
-
The Hong Kong Tiananmen vigil activists convicted in national security trial
-
Australia's Hussey mulls role with England for Ashes series
-
Eel-powered Japan whizz-kid, 11, chases Asian Games history
-
Indian captain 'scapegoat' in Britain's Russia shadow fleet case, wife says
-
Asian markets extend rally as traders assess US Treasuries pledge
-
Rosenior seeks to match Paris FC's capital ambition as Ligue 1 returns
-
Barcelona enter new era as Flick targets La Liga hat-trick
-
Inter set for Serie A title defence as Milan get Amorim reboot
-
Pogacar favourite for Vuelta with Grand Tour treble in sight
-
'Greatest' Springboks face All Blacks in clash of juggernauts
-
Bangladesh coach Simmons wary of Australia backlash in second Test
Docu-drama gives 'voice' to Gaza victims at Venice Festival
A harrowing film that premiered at the Venice Film Festival Wednesday about a five-year-old girl killed by Israeli forces in Gaza last year gives a "voice and face" to Palestinian victims of the war, its director said.
"The Voice of Hind Rajab", a dramatic portrayal of real events from January 2024, left many journalists sobbing at the first press screenings in Venice Wednesday.
Dressed all in black, Franco-Tunisian director Kaouther Ben Hania joined her cast on the red carpet holding a photograph of a smiling Hind Rajab, whose desperate pleas to be rescued form the basis of the film.
"We see that the narrative all around world is that those dying in Gaza are collateral damage, in the media," Ben Hania told journalists.
"And I think this is so dehumanising, and that's why cinema, art and every kind of expression is very important to give those people a voice and face."
Her film has support from Joachin Phoenix -- who attended the premiere -- as well Brad Pitt and Oscar-winning directors Jonathan Glazer ("The Zone of Interest") and Mexico's Alfonso Cuaron ("Roma") all of whom are credited as executive producers.
"I'm very happy, and I never in my life thought that can be possible," Ben Hania said of her A-list Hollywood backers who joined the project after the film's editing was completed.
Some critics have predicted the 90-minute feature will take home the festival's top prize on Saturday.
Its premiere came on the same day as a senior Israeli military official said that a million Palestinians -- around half the population of the famine-hit territory -- could be displaced by a new offensive around Gaza City.
- True story -
Hind Rajab Hamada was fleeing the Israeli military in Gaza City with six relatives last year when their car came under fire.
Left as the sole survivor in the badly damaged vehicle, her calls with the Red Crescent rescue service -- which were recorded and released -- caused brief international outrage.
She was later found dead along with two ambulance staff who went to rescue her.
"The Voice of Hind Rajab" makes chilling use of the real phone recordings, but tells the story through a dramatised Red Crescent team which is trying to coordinate her rescue.
"It is dramatisation, but very close to what they experienced," Ben Hania added.
"Please come to me, please come. I'm scared," Hind Rajab can be heard sobbing repeatedly in the film while bullets fly in the background.
She is described as six years old in the film, but a death certificate viewed by AFP in Gaza shows her age as five.
- 'Stop the war' -
The Gaza conflict has been a major talking point at the 2025 Venice Film Festival where thousands of protesters marched to the entrance of the event on Saturday.
An open letter calling on festival organisers to denounce the Israeli government has been signed by around 2,000 cinema insiders, according to the organisers.
Hind Rajab's mother, Wissam Hamada, said she hoped the film would help end the war.
"The whole world has left us to die, to go hungry, to live in fear and to be forcibly displaced without doing anything," Hamada told AFP by phone from Gaza City where she lives with her five-year-old son.
Israeli bombardment has killed at least 63,633 Palestinians, mostly civilians, according to figures from the health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza that the United Nations deems reliable.
Contacted by AFP, the Israeli military said the circumstances of Hind Rajab's death were "still being reviewed", without giving further details.
It has never announced a formal investigation into the case.
- Tensions -
The war in Gaza has regularly caused tension in the cinema world since Israel launched its offensive in October 2023 in retaliation for an attack by Palestinian militant group Hamas which left 1,219 people dead, most of them civilians.
Hundreds of actors and directors signed an open letter during the Cannes film festival in May saying they were "ashamed" of their industry's "passivity" about the war.
Cannes began under the shadow of the killing of Palestinian photojournalist Fatima Hassouna, the subject of the documentary which was picked for a sidebar section of the festival.
A day after Hassouna was told the film had been selected, an Israeli air strike on her home in northern Gaza killed her and 10 relatives.
G.AbuOdeh--SF-PST