-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
-
Watkins and Martinez could join Villa exodus says Emery
-
Judge allows UK rugby brain injury court case to continue to trial
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail £9.5mn
-
Trump announces temporary tariff relief on ground beef imports
-
Aligned Launches $ALIGN, the Native Token of Its Full Ethereum Stack
-
Pope to visit San Marino, address Italian political event
-
Bitcoin jumps, stocks bounce as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
All Blacks just as good as Springboks, says captain Savea
-
Man City boss Maresca hit with Doku injury blow
-
Romania holding suspected 'low-level agent' after pistols found near Berlin: Germany
-
Iraola wants to sign wingers to boost Liverpool's attacking options
-
UK forecasts 'biggest' El Nino will smash records, spark hottest year
-
Maresca needs time to succeed after 'big changes' at Man City
-
Cyclist Alaphilippe attracts tributes as reports say he has quit
-
Meghan faces difficult return to the UK
-
Top-ranked An, holder Yamaguchi reach badminton worlds semi-finals
-
Archer double strengthens England's grip on first Test against Pakistan
-
Iran president says time to end war while in position of strength
-
MEXC Lists Ondo Tokenized Stock Moderna (MRNAON), Expanding Access to U.S. Biotech Exposure
-
Antonelli fastest in sole Dutch GP practice session
-
Japan axes Netflix collaboration after outcry over dating show
France backs returning colonial-era 'talking drum' to I.Coast
France's parliament on Monday approved returning to Ivory Coast a "talking drum" that colonial troops took from the Ebrie tribe in 1916, in the latest boost to the repatriation of colonial spoils.
The Djidji Ayokwe drum is a communication tool more than three metres (10 feet) long and weighing 430 kilogrammes (almost 950 pounds) that was once used to transmit messages between different areas, for example to warn others of a forced recruitment drive.
France's lower house of parliament approved removing the artefact from the national museum collections to enable its return, after the upper-house Senate backed the move in April.
The talking drum had been in the care of the Quai Branly-Jacques Chirac Museum in Paris.
In late 2018, Ivory Coast asked Paris to return the Djidji Ayokwe among 148 works of art taken during the colonial period.
President Emmanuel Macron promised in 2021 to send the drum and other artefacts back home to the west African country.
"Local communities have been requesting it since independence" in 1960, said Serge Alain Nhiang'O, the founder of the Ivoire Black History Month association in Abidjan.
The drum's return "could become very symbolic", he said.
Clavaire Aguego Mobio, leader of the Ebrie, in 2021 called Macron's pledge "a highly historic move" as his people had long given up on the return of the drum, "which was our loudspeaker, our Facebook".
- Slow repatriations -
Since his election in 2017, Macron has gone further than his predecessors in admitting to past French abuses in Africa.
The restitution of looted artworks to Africa is one of the highlights of the "new relationship" he wanted to establish with the continent.
France still has in its possession tens of thousands of artworks and other prized artefacts that it looted from its colonial empire from the 16th to the first half of the 20th century.
According to a 2018 report, some 90,000 objects from sub-Saharan Africa are in French public museums.
But restitutions of such cultural objects have been slow without overarching legislation to help.
In late 2020, parliament adopted an exceptional law to permanently return 26 artefacts from the royal treasures of Abomey to Benin, as well as a sabre to Senegal.
In 2023, France adopted two so-called framework laws to return objects in two categories: one for goods looted from Jewish families during World War II, and another for the repatriation of human remains from public collections.
- New bill? -
The State Council, which acts as legal adviser to the government, last year rejected a similar blanket bill to permit the return of all colonial spoils.
According to Le Monde newspaper, which obtained a copy of its opinion, it did not deem "cultural cooperation" with former colonies to be sufficient justification.
It said that it was not enough of a "higher general interest" to justify breaking out the objects from inalienable national museum collections, Le Monde reported.
Culture Minister Rachida Dati said last week that a new version of the bill was to be presented at a government meeting by the end of the month.
She said that she hoped for a debate in parliament by the end of the year.
Macron has set up several commissions of historians to explore past relations between France and former colonies such as Cameroon, Algeria, Senegal and Haiti.
N.AbuHussein--SF-PST