-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
Eurovision promises glitz -- and controversy over Israel
Signature flamboyance is on the menu when the 2025 Eurovision Song Contest opens next month in Basel -- but looming large over the festivities is Israel's participation in the event.
Switzerland's third-biggest city of Basel hosts this year's extravaganza, which is one of world's biggest annual live television events.
The contest, nearly 70 years old, will bring together 37 countries, and conclude with the final on May 17.
Israel has taken part since 1973, because its public broadcaster was in the European Broadcasting Union (EBU).
But with the widespread anger over Israel's devastating military actions in Gaza -- and taking into account Russia being booted out of the EBU in 2022 because of its invasion of Ukraine -- there is controversy over Israel being allowed to perform in this year's competition.
Spain's public broadcaster last week asked the European Broadcasting Union to open a "debate" on the appropriateness of Israel taking part.
More than 10,000 people have also signed a petition in Finland urging the country's public broadcaster to push for Israel to be barred.
The EBU, which oversees Eurovision, counts public broadcasters from across Europe, as well as Israel and Australia, as members.
The Geneva-based organisation on Friday noted "concerns and deeply held views around the current conflict in the Middle East," but stated that all its members were eligible to compete.
The war in Gaza already clouded last year's contest, when thousands of demonstrators protested Israeli competitor Eden Golan in the Swedish city of Malmo.
Yuval Raphael, a singer who survived Hamas's deadly attack inside Israel in October 2023 that sparked the war in Gaza, will represent Israel in Basel, with the song "New Day Will Rise".
- 'Offensive' -
Other controversies are roiling this year's glamfest.
In Italy, there have been protests over the Estonian submission, "Espresso macchiato", which some argue shows cultural insensitivities.
Italian consumer association Codacons has slammed Tommy Cash's catchy song, which draws on a number of Italian stereotypes, as "offensive" and demanded it be excluded.
But the song, which features lyrics like "Mi money numeroso, I work around the clocko. That’s why I'm sweating like a mafioso", remains in the running.
Finland's contribution, by 32-year-old Erika Vikman and entitled "Ich komme" in German, or "I come", has meanwhile drawn allegations of bordering on the pornographic.
Vikman puts on an energetic show celebrating undisciplined female sexual liberation and pleasure, mixing Finnish disco tunes and electronic music.
She is seen in videos wearing a tight black latex corset with bare buttocks showing as she sings: "I am Erika, you have stamina, hit me again, grab my butt, and when you want love again, scream 'encore', yes baby, ich komme."
At the EBU's resuest, Vikman says she has toned down some of the sexual attributes of the performance and will be wearing an outfit less revealing than originally planned.
"There is a bit of butt coverage," she told Finnish public broadcaster Yle.
- 'Rough edges' -
Online betting sites suggest the most likely winner will be Sweden's act -- in fact performed by a Swedish-speaking comedy trio from Sweden's neighbour Finland.
The Finnish group KAJ is due to perform "Bara bada bastu" (Just have a sauna) in Swedish.
On stage, the three men wear suits in a mock sauna surrounded by dancers in towels and wool hats, and armed with bouquets of birch branches, used by sauna enthusiasts to whip up their blood circulation.
The unusual track, with its comic chorus, is quite different from the polished, glossy tunes typically heard from Sweden, which fielded ABBA in 1974 .
"Today, it seems the public is more open to rough edges, originality and singularity," Fabien Randanne, a journalist at 20 Minutes and Eurovision specialist, told AFP.
Sweden, which has seven prior Eurovision triumphs to its name, currently ties with Ireland as the country holding the most wins.
Its last victory dates back to 2023, with the more conventional pop song "Tattoo" by Loreen, who also won the competition in 2012.
Online betting sites currently give the Austrian submission the second-best odds.
"Wasted Love", sung by 23-year-old Austrian-Filipino countertenor Johannes Pietsch, fuses pop and lyrical elements in a crescendo that flows into techno sounds.
The song's opera-infused genre-blending style has drawn comparisons to "The Code" -- Swiss non-binary vocalist Nemo's 2024 Eurovision victory song in Malmo, Sweden, which gave Switzerland the right to host this year's edition.
P.AbuBaker--SF-PST