-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
Trump to visit top US arts venue after takeover
US President Donald Trump will on Monday visit the Kennedy Center in Washington for the first time since his stunning takeover of the top arts venue that he branded too "woke."
Trump will lead a board meeting at the venue, where he installed himself as chairman and ousted the leadership a month ago as part of his broader blitz on almost every aspect of American life.
The 78-year-old Republican railed in particular against drag shows at the venue, amid a wider targeting of trans issues by his administration since returning to office.
But the changes have faced opposition, with concertgoers booing Vice President JD Vance last week and the hit musical "Hamilton" canceling a planned run at the Kennedy Center.
"We have to straighten it out," Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One on Sunday about his visit to the center. "It's not a good system, like everything else in this country."
The White House said Trump would take part in a board meeting and tour of the John F. Kennedy Performing Arts Center, named after the US president who was assassinated in 1963.
In an extraordinary step, the board meeting will take place onstage at the venue's opera house, CBS News reported.
Trump's shake-up stunned the Kennedy center, a fixture of Washington cultural life which is based in a huge white marble edifice overlooking the Potomac river and next door to the infamous Watergate complex.
He fired its chairman and trustees and named himself as the new leader in February, an unprecedented takeover of a cultural venue by a US president.
- 'Destroyed' -
Trump then filled the board with ultra-loyalist allies including his powerful chief of staff Susie Wiles, deputy chief of staff Dan Scavino and Second Lady Usha Vance.
At the time, Trump told reporters that "we didn't like what they were showing" at the center and that once he took over "it's not going to be woke."
In a Truth Social post he added that the center had "featured Drag Shows specifically targeting our youth -- THIS WILL STOP."
The move came amid a wider targeting of trans issue and diversity by the Trump administration, and a crackdown on his political opponents.
In his first term from 2017 to 2021, the Republican regularly skipped the Kennedy Center's yearly gala event because people slated to receive awards criticized him and said they would not show up if he did.
The Kennedy Center is home to the National Symphony Orchestra and also offers theatre, opera, comedy and other productions.
Last week Vance and his wife were loudly booed as they entered the concert hall for a performance by the orchestra. Videos of the incident went viral.
Meanwhile the producer of "Hamilton", the hit rap musical about the birth of the United States and its first treasury secretary, said earlier this month that he was canceling its latest run in protest at Trump's "purge."
"In recent weeks we have sadly seen decades of Kennedy Center neutrality be destroyed," Jeffrey Seller wrote.
B.AbuZeid--SF-PST