-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
TikTok's US future in limbo after Supreme Court ruling
The US Supreme Court on Friday upheld a law that will ban TikTok in the United States, potentially denying the video-sharing app to 170 million users in less than two days.
The stinging legal defeat for TikTok sent officials scrambling for a solution with the Biden White House saying it will not enforce the ban, which comes into force one day before Donald Trump takes office.
The court unanimously ruled that the law does not violate free speech rights and that the US government had demonstrated legitimate national security concerns about a Chinese company owning the app.
The justices were considering a law Congress overwhelmingly passed a law last year forcing ByteDance to either sell the platform or close it in the United States by January 19.
ByteDance has categorically refused to consider a sale of TikTok, a position supported by the government in Beijing that has called the law a robbery.
"There is no doubt that, for more than 170 million Americans, TikTok offers a distinctive and expansive outlet for expression, means of engagement, and source of community," the justices said.
"But Congress has determined that divestiture is necessary to address its well-supported national security concerns regarding TikTok's data collection practices and relationship with a foreign adversary," they concluded.
With the court's decision, Sunday's ban effectively stands even if lawmakers and officials across the political spectrum were calling for some sort of delay.
The White House said it will not enforce the ban and will leave the matter up to President-elect Donald Trump, who takes office a day later.
Trump also opposes the ban and said that he discussed TikTok in a phone conversation with Chinese President Xi Jinping on Friday.
"The Supreme Court decision was expected, and everyone must respect it," Trump said on Truth Social, asking for time to enforce the ruling.
In a potential signal of support for a delay, the Department of Justice, which will be charged with enforcement, in a statement said enacting the law "will be a process that plays out over time."
- 'Viable deal' -
Speaking to Fox News on Thursday, Trump's incoming national security advisor Mike Waltz said the administration would put in place measures "to keep TikTok from going dark."
He noted that the law allowed for a 90 day delay if the White House could demonstrate that "a viable deal" was in the works.
Frank McCourt, the former owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers who has expressed interest in buying TikTok, said he was "ready to work with the company and President Trump to complete a deal."
As written, the law directs Apple and Google to remove TikTok from their app stores, preventing new downloads.
If not compliant, those companies and internet service providers could pay penalties as high as $5,000 per user able to access the app.
In his arguments to the Supreme Court, TikTok lawyer Noel Francisco stated the site would go dark on Sunday if the justices failed to block the ban, and a media report said the company was planning a full suspension of service in the United States.
TikTok has been lobbying furiously to thwart the law's implementation with CEO Shou Chew set to attend Trump's inauguration on Monday as he fights to save the business.
"Content creators on TikTok are preparing for a possible ban in a context of great uncertainty," Courtney Spritzer, head of digital marketing agency Socialfly, which specializes in social networks, told AFP.
As for advertisers, "some are betting there will be a shutdown while others are more optimistic that it will continue to exist after Sunday," she added.
A.Suleiman--SF-PST