-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
With spate of lawsuits, Trump goes after US media
In his first post-election news conference, President-elect Donald Trump vowed to "straighten out" the "corrupt" US press.
Before he's even taken office, he's already made efforts to shape the media in his favor -- tapping loyalists for publicly funded outlets and launching unprecedented lawsuits against newspapers and pollsters that observers worry are the signs of escalating intimidation and censorship tactics.
On Monday, the billionaire sued pollster Ann Selzer, the Des Moines Register newspaper and its parent company Gannett over a pre-election poll that -- wrongly, come Election Day -- saw him behind in the state.
That suit came after broadcaster ABC paid $15 million, plus legal fees, to settle a defamation suit after one of its reporters repeatedly said Trump had been found liable for "rape" -- in fact, he had been liable for sexual abuse.
Several legal scholars argued the outlet would have likely prevailed in court against Trump.
ABC staffers have complained to US media that the channel is setting a precedent that media should buckle to Trump -- a potentially distressing signal, since the broadcaster is hardly alone in being sued.
Also being targeted by Trump's lawyers is famed reporter Bob Woodward, over publishing taped interviews with the president. Trump is arguing that Woodward was authorized to record them for journalistic purposes, but not to publish the audio.
Broadcaster CBS, meanwhile, has been sued after Trump claimed CBS favorably edited an interview with election rival Kamala Harris.
Trump called it "a brazen attempt to interfere in the 2024 US presidential election."
Free speech expert Charles Tobin, speaking to CNN, called the suit "dangerous and frivolous."
- Risk of self-censorship -
Even if Trump loses in court, his willingness to launch lawsuits "creates a chilling effect," Melissa Camacho, a communications professor at San Francisco State University, told AFP.
"What happens is that outlets start engaging in a practice of self-censorship."
Khadijah Costley White, an associate professor of journalism and media studies at Rutgers University, said the lawsuits could also push media coverage to be more favorable to the president.
"If he gains a concession like he did with the recent ABC News settlement, gets his perceived adversaries to back down, or scares the press into only giving him favorable coverage, those are all wins," she said.
There are also procedural ways Trump -- who ran on a lack of trust in mainstream media and government institutions -- can fight the press.
During his first term, his administration once went more than 300 days without an official media briefing by the White House press secretary.
And if Trump's White House does hold daily news conferences, he could get rid of seats reserved for mainstream outlets.
"Make it first come, first served. There is no reason these left-wing groups should be guaranteed a seat," former White House press secretary Sean Spicer wrote in a recent opinion piece for the conservative Washington Times newspaper.
The "left-wing groups" in question? NBC, CBS, CNN, The New York Times and The Washington Post -- mainstream outlets that are at times regarded as having a liberal bias but among the most reputable news outlets in the country.
The irony is that even if his White House shuts down traditional media, Trump himself, who has a penchant for chatting with journalists, might still talk to reporters more than outgoing President Joe Biden, who largely avoided interviews with national outlets.
- Voice of America -
Those outside the United States can also expect a change.
The incoming president has tapped hard-line loyalist and election denier Kari Lake to be the new director of Voice of America.
VOA has reach around the world, with programming in a slew of African, Asian and European languages.
It receives US funding but is generally considered a reliable, independent media operation, covering global and US news for international audiences.
During his first term, Michael Pack, Trump's head of the US Agency for Global Media, which oversees VOA, raised concerns when he moved in 2020 to strip an internal firewall at the organization meant to insulate the newsroom from political interference.
According to Trump, Lake will help "ensure that the American values of Freedom and Liberty are broadcast around the World FAIRLY and ACCURATELY, unlike the lies spread by the Fake News Media."
S.Abdullah--SF-PST