-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
French jihadist linked to Charlie Hebdo attackers jailed for life
A French jihadist close to the brothers behind the 2015 massacre at satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo was on Thursday sentenced to life imprisonment.
Peter Cherif, 42, had been on trial in Paris since mid-September for "belonging to a criminal terrorist association" while fighting for Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) in Yemen from 2011 to 2018.
During that time he is suspected of training his Paris childhood friend Cherif Kouachi, who along with his brother Said perpetrated the January 7, 2015 massacre at Charlie Hebdo's offices in the French capital -- for which AQAP later claimed responsibility.
The trial judge sentenced Cherif to life behind bars, with a minimum of 22-years to be served.
The president of the court said the decision had been taken "in view of the seriousness of the acts" for which Cherif was convicted.
Prosecutors had called him the "architect" of the first in a string of attacks carried out by radical Islamists that hit France in the late 2010s.
The 12 killings at the magazine shocked the world and led to an international outpouring of political and popular support under the motto "Je suis Charlie" ("I am Charlie").
Cherif also was accused of being part of a criminal gang that held three French aid workers hostage for five months in Yemen in 2011.
Calling the accused a "jihadist through-and-through" who was the "cornerstone of planning" for the Charlie Hebdo attack, prosecutors on Wednesday had requested a life sentence.
Cherif declined to answer questions throughout most of the trial.
But he admitted standing guard over the aid workers and serving as an interpreter between them and Yemeni Al-Qaeda members.
Cherif has consistently denied playing any role in the attack on Charlie Hebdo or knowing it would happen.
Prosecutors believe he was in on the plan and remained in contact with Cherif Kouachi once the attacker returned to France.
"I feel like I've taken part in a rigged match," Cherif's defence lawyer Nabil El Ouchikli said on Thursday, pointing out that the defendant was not charged with complicity in the Charlie Hebdo attack.
He argued that prosecutors had resorted to the catch-all charge of terrorist association because "they didn't have the proof" for specific offences.
Cherif himself on Thursday said that he had "nothing to add" after his representatives' closing arguments.
M.Qasim--SF-PST