-
Rain delays start of second day's play in England-Pakistan opener
-
PrimeXBT Expands Swap-Free Trading to PXTrader 2.0
-
Russian strikes kill 16 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Record number of locations in France top 40C over summer: AFP analysis
-
'It is tough': Indonesia battles wildfires, bracing for worse to come
-
Trump pledges 'economic warfare' on Iran, prompting Tehran derision
-
Seoul detects North Korean missile launches after Trump says to meet Kim
-
'Girl with a Pearl Earring' in Japan, perhaps for the last time
-
Thai, Myanmar military chiefs meet as post-coup thaw progresses
-
Russian strikes kill 13 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Asian stocks rally as US Treasury steps in to ease bond fears
-
'Simply lovely': Verstappen signs new Red Bull contract until 2030
-
Verstappen signs new Red Bull contract until 2030: team
-
Australia coach Walters heading to St Helens after World Cup
-
What property giant Evergrande's sentence means for China's economy
-
China jails founder, fines disgraced property giant Evergrande
-
Australian prosecutors demand life in prison for mushroom killer
-
Russian strikes kill 12 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Fallout far-reaching for Australian Rules after latest scandal
-
US India ambassador's Kashmir remarks rile Pakistan; envoy summoned
-
Rafts on Rome's Tiber River cool down overheated tourists
-
In Senegal's Saint-Louis, traces of slave-trading past fade away
-
Top seeds Sabalenka, Zverev stunned in Cincinnati fourth round
-
Russian strikes kill 9 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Australia says relations with Israel 'difficult' after aid worker death
-
Messi scores first goal since father's death in Miami draw
-
PSG start Ligue 1 defence with eye on Champions League hat-trick
-
Mercedes and Max: What to watch as F1 returns for Dutch GP
-
Arsenal can become world's best club: Arteta
-
'People, not robots': Ukraine's soldiers justify human role amid drone revolution
-
Japan's King Kazu, 59, scores twice from spot to make cup history
-
North Sea drilling tests UK govt climate pledge
-
Kyiv's desperate vendors persevere outside obliterated flea market
-
'Ray of hope': Gaza seed bank rebuilds after wartime destruction
-
Australia races to shield little penguins from H5N1 bird flu
-
Mourinho begins second Real Madrid reign with Barca in his sights
-
Messi scores first goal since father's death
-
'More confrontational': Iran's new hardline security leadership
-
US national debt exceeds $40 trillion for first time
-
UK summons Israeli envoy over West Bank settlement project
-
Brazilian narco violence spills over into tranquil Bolivia
-
Trump vows 'tremendous' economic costs on Iran partners
-
Trump's devoted 'human printer' in media glare
-
Germany, France, UN condemn far-right Israeli minister's 'inhumane' Gaza remarks
-
Top seed Zverev bundled out by Paul in rain-hit Cincinnati upset
-
Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to UK: British press
-
WADA pledges vigilance on Russian athletes ahead of 2028 Olympics
-
Lee, Baena guide Atletico to opening Liga win over Malaga
-
NASA satellite rescue mission fails
-
Ecuador intel chief, five Americans killed in Kenya helicopter crash
Twitter suspends hundreds of accounts promoting Philippines' Marcos Jr
Twitter has suspended hundreds of accounts reportedly linked to supporters of Philippine presidential frontrunner Ferdinand Marcos Jr, which the social media giant said had violated its rules on manipulation and spam.
The son and namesake of the country's former dictator is drawing support from a massive social media campaign seeking to get him elected in May, which critics say is attempting to rewrite the family's history.
Twitter said it had reviewed the accounts and hashtags identified in a recent article by Philippine news site Rappler.
More than 300 accounts had been removed "for violating our platform manipulation and spam policy," Twitter said in a statement sent to AFP Saturday.
Most of them had been taken down before the Rappler article was published on Tuesday and an investigation was ongoing, it said.
Filipinos are among the world's heaviest users of social media and the country has become a key battleground for fake news.
"With the Philippine elections taking place this May, we remain vigilant about identifying and eliminating suspected information campaigns targeting election conversations," Twitter said.
Marcos Jr's spokesman Vic Rodriguez said there was "no certainty" that all the suspended accounts belonged to supporters of the presidential hopeful.
Election victory for Marcos Jr would mark the ultimate political comeback for the family, which was chased into exile in the United States after its patriarch's humiliating downfall in 1986.
Marcos Sr and his wife Imelda were accused of massive corruption while in power.
Recent voter surveys show Marcos Jr holding a huge lead over his nearest rival and nemesis Leni Robredo, who is the incumbent vice president.
Rappler said Marcos Jr supporters were "looking to dominate Twitter" and that many of the accounts it investigated were created around the time he announced his bid for the presidency in October.
The accounts pushed the narrative that the Marcoses were "victims" of the 1986 revolt and their return to Malacanang presidential palace is "long overdue", it added.
Twitter said sharing political content on an account or rallying people do so via hashtags was allowed, "unless the accounts are inauthentic, compensated or automated, which we see no clear evidence of in this case."
Last Monday, the social media giant said it was expanding a test feature that will allow users in Brazil, Spain and the Philippines to report misleading content.
G.AbuOdeh--SF-PST