-
Mandalorian and Grogu blast to first place in weekend box office
-
Second division Torreense stun giants Sporting in Portuguese cup final
-
Como, Roma reach Champions League, Milan and Juve miss out
-
Djokovic comes from behind to keep Roland Garros bid alive
-
Sweden's Rosenqvist wins closest-ever Indy 500
-
Villarreal crush Atletico to claim third in La Liga
-
Como, Roma reach Champions League, Milan, Juve miss out
-
Ready, set, dope: Enhanced Games to begin in Las Vegas
-
Senegal parliament speaker steps down in political crisis
-
'Be yourself' Guardiola tells Man City successor
-
Turin derby starts hour late after trouble leaves fan in hospital
-
Rubio accuses Hezbollah of trying to 'drag Lebanon back into chaos'
-
China launches crewed space flight as part of Moon ambitions
-
'Sad' Nuno apologises to fans after West Ham relegation
-
Juve's derby with Torino delayed by an hour after trouble leaves fan in hospital
-
Juve's derby with Torino delayed after trouble leaves fan in hospital
-
Arteta savours Arsenal's 'beautiful' trophy celebration
-
Emotional Salah proud to put Liverpool 'back where it belongs'
-
Arsenal lift Premier League trophy after beating Palace
-
Spurs must invest to build 'top team': De Zerbi
-
Spurs win to relegate West Ham as Guardiola, Salah say Premier League farewells
-
Carrick says Man Utd's third-place finish 'something to build on'
-
Ngidi leads Delhi to consolation IPL win over Kolkata
-
Spurs 'showed up' to survive in Premier League: Palhinha
-
St. Gallen win Swiss Cup
-
Spurs survive as Guardiola, Salah say Premier League farewells
-
Haaland crowned Premier League's top scorer
-
Guardiola goodbye spoiled by Man City loss to Aston Villa
-
Wolff plays down Mercedes rivalry as 'good learning'
-
Man Utd's Fernandes sets new outright Premier League assist record
-
Trump tempers expectations of a Middle East deal with Iran
-
Trump says US will not 'rush into a deal' with Iran, as criticism mounts
-
Zverev strolls to opening Roland Garros win, Djokovic waits in wings
-
Salah starts in final Liverpool game
-
Norway's Dversnes takes surprise win in Giro 15th stage
-
China launches three-crew space flight as part of Moon ambitions
-
All-round Archer powers Rajasthan into IPL play-offs
-
Iran and US closing in on deal to end war
-
Kostyuk dedicates opening Roland Garros win to Ukraine
-
Turkey riot police use tear gas to take opposition party HQ
-
China to launch three-crew space flight as part of Moon ambitions
-
Rescuers search for 20 missing after Philippine building collapse
-
Yemen family deprived of aid reduced to eating tree leaves
-
Russia kills 4 in massive Ukraine attack using nuclear-capable missile
-
Possible Iran-US deal: What we know
-
Will Barcelona's latest Champions League triumph mark the end of an era?
-
Dread and denial at heart of deadly DR Congo Ebola outbreak
-
India voices concern on US visas but sees alignment with Rubio
-
China's Li Shifeng defends Malaysia Masters title
-
Pakistan train blast kills at least 24 in Balochistan
What to know about Nigeria's court martial over 2025 coup plot
A court martial over last year's foiled coup plot in Nigeria is expected to get under way Friday, two weeks after the judges were sworn in.
Three dozen officers are on trial for allegedly planning to overthrow the government.
If successful, it would have brought an end to more than a quarter century of democracy in Africa's most populous country, which spent much of the 20th century under junta rule after gaining independence from Britain in 1960.
Here is what we know so far:
- Who is the alleged coup leader? -
The Nigerian military has not officially identified a ringleader of the alleged coup plot and the court martial will be held behind closed doors, as is usual, at a military venue in Abuja.
Local media reports named Colonel Mohammed Ma'aji as the officer who mobilised the plotters.
Court documents seen by AFP accused "Ma'aji and others" of committing an "act of terrorism".
Ma'aji reportedly gained much of his operational experience in the Niger Delta, where he participated in major army operations targeting militancy and oil theft.
At the time of his arrest, the 49-year-old was serving as commanding officer of the Nigerian Army 19 Battalion.
- Were civilians involved? -
In a separate trial for civilians who allegedly participated in the coup plan, court documents seen by AFP named former oil minister Timipre Sylva -- who is at large and has not been officially charged -- as having allegedly acted alongside the accused.
Also allegedly involved was an electrician who worked at the presidential villa.
According to a video interview with investigators, played before the Federal High Court where the civilian trial is being held, the electrician, Zekeri Umoru, was recruited by the plotters to gain access to the villa.
He said that Ma'aji had met him and started transferring large amounts of cash, without explicitly telling him what it was for.
Others charged at the Federal High Court are retired major general Mohammed Ibrahim Gana and retired captain Erasmus Ochegobia Victor.
They have all pleaded not guilty.
The civilian court trial has been ongoing since last month, though access for journalists to the case has been severely curtailed, without an official explanation.
- How was the failed putsch allegedly financed? -
A witness for the Nigerian military told the Federal High Court in Abuja last month that Sylva had a financial link with the suspected coup plotters, according to the government-owned News Agency of Nigeria.
"We found financial trails between Ma'aji, former Governor Timipre Sylva and some of the defendants here before the court," the witness told the court.
"We also observed financial trails between some of the defendants" and Ma'aji, the witness said.
The country's anti-graft agency, the EFCC, declared Sylva wanted in November, weeks after news of the failed coup broke, over an "alleged case of conspiracy and dishonest conversion of $14,859,257".
The EFCC however did not mention the alleged coup attempt. The government had initially denied that the plot took place, until making a U-turn in announcing the court martial in January.
O.Mousa--SF-PST