-
Oil prices jump on toughening US posture on Iran as US stocks advance
-
Gu's exchange with AFP at Winter Olympics goes viral
-
Hamilton feeling 'connected' to new Ferrari car at test sessions
-
US lingerie magnate says was 'conned' by Epstein
-
Marner fires Canada into Olympic ice hockey semis, as Finland survive
-
Israel conducting 'gradual de facto annexation' of W.Bank: UN official
-
Alcaraz, Sinner cruise into Qatar Open quarter-finals
-
Mavs confirm Irving will miss rest of NBA season
-
Environmental groups sue Trump administration over scrapped climate rule
-
Major US naval, air buildup sets stage for potential Iran war
-
Eight skiers missing in California avalanche found dead
-
White House tells Iran to do deal as Trump hints at US strikes
-
Gordon scores four as Newcastle hit Qarabag for six
-
French far-right leader accuses Macron, allies of strengthening hard-left after activist killed
-
Putin says Russia 'always' stands by Cuba, slams US sanctions
-
England's Joe Heyes says Princess Anne mistook him for Joe Marler
-
Marner sends Canada through to Olympic men's ice hockey semis
-
Seattle Seahawks put up for sale after Super Bowl win
-
U2 slam ICE, Putin in new 'Days of Ash' EP
-
Berlin Film Festival rejects accusation of censorship on Gaza
-
Sinner sees off Popyrin to reach Doha quarter-finals
-
Taylor Swift bags best-selling artist of 2025 award: industry body
-
Tiberi takes UAE Tour lead from Evenepoel
-
Paris prosecutor calls on Epstein victims in France to testify
-
India tune up for Super Eights with hard-fought win over the Dutch
-
Griffin warns Wales to beware Bath team-mate Russell in Scotland clash
-
Desperate search for nine skiers missing in California avalanche
-
Six highs and lows from the 2026 Winter Olympics alpine skiing
-
Global stocks, oil rise tracking company earnings, data
-
Peru set for eighth president in a decade
-
First woman envoy for Palestine dies in France: family
-
Laser-etched glass can store data for millennia, Microsoft says
-
Intense US naval, air power buildup sets stage for potential Iran war
-
Slovakia beat Germany to reach Olympic men's ice hockey semis
-
Greece to claim Nazi atrocity photos found on Ebay: minister
-
US energy chief says IEA must 'drop' focus on climate change
-
Shiffrin remembers deceased dad after Olympic slalom gold
-
Environmental groups sue Trump administration over dismantled climate rule
-
Curling's air of gentility melts amid cheating row
-
Denmark's King Frederik in Greenland for symbolic show of support
-
Dube lifts India to 193-6 against Dutch at T20 World Cup
-
Japan's Takaichi formally reappointed as PM following election victory
-
Polish bishop goes on trial for paedophilia cover-up
-
Mikaela Shiffrin, skiing's greatest back on top of the world
-
Denmark's King Frederik X arrives in Greenland in show of support
-
Global stocks rise tracking company earnings, data
-
Gabon cuts off Facebook, TikTok amid teachers' strike
-
Ukraine's officials to boycott Paralympics over Russian flag decision
-
Notorious Courbet painting goes on show in Vienna
-
In reversal, US agrees to review new Moderna flu shot
Zuckerberg tells jury regrets slow progress on spotting under-13s on Instagram
Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg on Wednesday said he regretted the slow progress his company made in identifying underage users on Instagram as he testified at a landmark social media addiction trial in Los Angeles.
Asked to comment on complaints from inside the company that not enough was being done to verify whether children under 13 were using the platform, the 41-year-old head of Meta, which also owns Facebook and WhatsApp, said improvements had been made.
But "I always wish that we could have gotten there sooner," he added.
Zuckerberg was the most hotly anticipated witness in the California trial, the first in a series of cases that could set legal precedent for thousands of lawsuits filed by American families against social media platforms.
The trial marked the first time the multibillionaire addressed the safety of his world-dominating platforms directly before a jury.
Zuckerberg was very reserved at first, an AFP journalist in the courtroom reported, but then he began to grow animated, showing signs of annoyance, shaking his head and waving his hands as he turned toward the jury.
The 12 jurors in Los Angeles heard the increasingly testy testimony as plaintiff lawyer Mark Lanier pressed Zuckerberg on age verification and his guiding philosophy for making decisions at the vast social media company he controls.
The trial is set to last until late March, when the jury will decide whether Google-owned YouTube and Meta's Instagram bear responsibility for the mental health problems suffered by Kaley G.M., a 20-year-old California resident who has been a heavy social media user since childhood.
Kaley G.M. started using YouTube at age six, Instagram at nine, then TikTok and Snapchat.
Under-13s are not allowed on Instagram, and Lanier pressed Zuckerberg on the fact that Kaylee had easily signed up for the platform despite rules that were buried deep in the user agreement, which he said a child could not be expected to read.
- 'Right place now' -
Zuckerberg was confronted with an internal document that said Instagram had four million users under 13 in 2015, at the time of the plaintiff's adoption of the app, and that 30 percent of all 10- to 12-year-olds in the United States were users.
Zuckerberg said that "we're in the right place now" when it comes to age verification, and that new tools and methods would be added over time.
Lanier went on to argue that when enforcement of these rules were more lax, young people like Kaley were also subject to Meta's efforts to increase time spent on its world-dominating apps.
Zuckerberg admitted that "we did used to have goals around time," but that the company's goal was always to "build useful services that help people connect to the people they care about and learn about the world."
The trial will determine whether Google and Meta deliberately designed their platforms to encourage compulsive use among young people, damaging their mental health in the process.
The case, along with two similar trials scheduled in Los Angeles this summer, aims to establish a standard for resolving thousands of lawsuits that blame social media for fueling an epidemic of depression, anxiety, eating disorders and suicide among young people.
The proceedings focus solely on app design, algorithms and personalization features, since US law grants platforms nearly complete immunity from liability over user-generated content.
TikTok and Snapchat, also named in the complaint, reached confidential settlements with the plaintiff before the trial began.
The Los Angeles proceedings are running parallel to a similar nationwide case before a federal judge in Oakland, California, which could result in another trial in 2026.
Meta is also facing trial this month in New Mexico, where prosecutors accuse the company of prioritizing profits over protecting minors from sexual predators.
T.Samara--SF-PST