-
Key European leaders demand Israel halt West Bank settlement project
-
'I heard you missed me': Melania Trump jokes about month out of spotlight
-
McIlroy bounces back to share BMW Championship lead
-
Amazon Prime Video to invest $2 bn in Latin America productions
-
Cobolli fueled by candy in sweet defeat of Paul
-
Panama Canal to reduce shipping over El Nino-fueled drought
-
Jailed Pakistan ex-PM Khan moved to hospital on court order: party
-
Maradona trial on hold over possible medical evidence mix-up
-
Pogacar eyes 'missing' piece ahead of Vuelta return
-
'Green dilemma': China's solar boom hurt birds, says study
-
US, Canada 'very close' to trade deal, Ottawa says, as details emerge
-
Pegula hangs on to dispatch Anisimova, reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
Ronaldinho returns in search of 'beautiful' 300th goal
-
US charges woman with IS-inspired plot to blow up New York State Capitol
-
US pushes allies, China to back Trump's economic war on Iran
-
What a record-breaking El Nino could mean for the world
-
Former NBA MVP Harden reportedly set to return to Cavaliers
-
Duplantis edges Karalis to win Lausanne Diamond League pole vault
-
Brook makes Pakistan pay for drop as England dominate first Test
-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
-
Europe heatwaves scorch 80 million with 40 C heat: AFP analysis
-
US Open purse to top $100 mn as Grand Slams form player council
-
Carrick insists Man Utd will make more signings after quiet transfer window
-
Hull aim to silence critics after unexpected promotion to Premier League
-
US warns allies, China to back economic war on Iran
-
Pakistan hit back against England after Cox and Root fifties
-
Manifesto defends Germany's iconic Bauhaus against 'populist attacks'
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Kenya's Kipyegon ends season with hamstring injury
-
Wang downs Sindhu to break Indian hearts at badminton worlds
-
Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on movie about attack: media
-
As Europe's rivers recede, shippers scramble to limit damage
-
German football fans plan widespread VAR protests
-
Alonso won't confirm Fernandez will remain at Chelsea after Man City link
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
-
Milky Way's fastest star discovered spinning around black hole
-
Newly-crowned European champ Werro turns focus on 800m record
-
Kanye West planned concerts trigger frenzy in Russia
-
Hamilton 'fittest ever' as he chases eighth F1 title
-
Hungary music festival basks in post-Orban freedom
-
Stocks retreat as bond yield fears persist, oil rises
-
Vatican says 'serious concerns' over Israel-Lebanon deal implementation
-
ARKBRIDGE’s David Mali Highlights AI-Driven Risk Management at the Finance Magnates London Summit
-
Arteta confirms Arsenal want to sign defender after Konsa link
World Cup organisers defend fans accused of being 'fake'
World Cup organisers on Wednesday came to the defence of Indian fans in Qatar who have been labelled "fake" for wearing the shirts of football's powerhouse nations.
Thousands of supporters, mainly from India and other South Asian nations, took part in a parade in Doha that sparked suggestions they had been paid to wear Argentina, Brazil and England shirts as a stunt to promote the tournament.
The Indian fans have been outraged by the accusations, insisting they are passionate about the sport.
Now the Qatar organising committee has weighed in, issuing a strongly worded statement, backing the contribution of the fans.
"Numerous journalists and commentators on social media have questioned whether these are 'real' fans," the statement said.
"We thoroughly reject these assertions, which are both disappointing and unsurprising.
"Qatar, and the rest of the world, is comprised of a diverse range of football fans, many of whom share emotional connections with multiple nations."
There are more than 750,000 Indians and 400,000 Bangladeshis in Qatar's population of 2.9 million and they account for a huge number of tickets bought for the World Cup, which starts on Sunday.
Indian fans of England outnumbered local British expatriates by nearly 10 to one in the crowd of about 200 that welcomed the England team to their hotel on Tuesday.
The Indian contingent, mainly from Kerala state, beat drums and blew horns, proudly wearing England shirts and carrying England flags.
They rejected media reports and social media posts focusing on groups of allegedly "fake fans" in Doha.
"This is degrading, there is a lot of frustration," said Ameen Sharak, an Indian resident of Doha, referring to the accusations.
Sajidh, another Indian fan in Qatar, said the community had been "outraged" by the reports after their parade last Friday.
"It is purely fake news and I would like to say loud and clear that none of us have been paid in any way," added Sajidh, who gave only one name. "We are diehard England fans."
The Doha march was dominated by supporters from India wearing Argentina, Brazil and England shirts.
Fans who took part said it was organised on social media groups and through WhatsApp.
"This has hurt us a lot," said another fan, Anas. "People just do not realise how much football excitement there is in Kerala.
"We watch the Premier League every weekend. We come from India but they have not qualified so people choose the team they want to support."
Qatar has predicted that more than one million fans will visit the tiny Gulf state during the 29-day tournament. More than 70,000 Mexicans and 30,000 Argentinians are expected, according to their embassies.
The Qatar organisers said they wanted the event to be "a moment that connects fans from all over the world, no matter how they choose to support their favourite teams".
D.Khalil--SF-PST