-
Jailed Pakistan ex-PM Khan moved to hospital on court order: party
-
Maradona trial on hold over possible medical evidence mix-up
-
Pogacar eyes 'missing' piece ahead of Vuelta return
-
'Green dilemma': China's solar boom hurt birds, says study
-
US, Canada 'very close' to trade deal, Ottawa says, as details emerge
-
Pegula hangs on to dispatch Anisimova, reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
Ronaldinho returns in search of 'beautiful' 300th goal
-
US charges woman with IS-inspired plot to blow up New York State Capitol
-
US pushes allies, China to back Trump's economic war on Iran
-
What a record-breaking El Nino could mean for the world
-
Former NBA MVP Harden reportedly set to return to Cavaliers
-
Duplantis edges Karalis to win Lausanne Diamond League pole vault
-
Brook makes Pakistan pay for drop as England dominate first Test
-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
-
Europe heatwaves scorch 80 million with 40 C heat: AFP analysis
-
US Open purse to top $100 mn as Grand Slams form player council
-
Carrick insists Man Utd will make more signings after quiet transfer window
-
Hull aim to silence critics after unexpected promotion to Premier League
-
US warns allies, China to back economic war on Iran
-
Pakistan hit back against England after Cox and Root fifties
-
Manifesto defends Germany's iconic Bauhaus against 'populist attacks'
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Kenya's Kipyegon ends season with hamstring injury
-
Wang downs Sindhu to break Indian hearts at badminton worlds
-
Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on movie about attack: media
-
As Europe's rivers recede, shippers scramble to limit damage
-
German football fans plan widespread VAR protests
-
Alonso won't confirm Fernandez will remain at Chelsea after Man City link
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
-
Milky Way's fastest star discovered spinning around black hole
-
Newly-crowned European champ Werro turns focus on 800m record
-
Kanye West planned concerts trigger frenzy in Russia
-
Hamilton 'fittest ever' as he chases eighth F1 title
-
Hungary music festival basks in post-Orban freedom
-
Stocks retreat as bond yield fears persist, oil rises
-
Vatican says 'serious concerns' over Israel-Lebanon deal implementation
-
ARKBRIDGE’s David Mali Highlights AI-Driven Risk Management at the Finance Magnates London Summit
-
Arteta confirms Arsenal want to sign defender after Konsa link
-
Zuckerberg buys Gothic castle in Ireland: spokesman
-
What's behind the UAE's decision to cut Iran trade ties?
-
Belgium's fire of the century now 'under control'
-
Barca seal Cancelo return to bolster defence
-
Evergrande's Xu Jiayin: from real-estate tycoon to life in prison
-
Germany reports record 14,000 heat-related deaths this summer
Royal rift after Danish queen strips grandkids' titles
The queen of Denmark's decision to strip four of her grandchildren of their titles has sparked unprecedented royal drama in Copenhagen and led her enraged son to air the family's dirty laundry in public.
Queen Margrethe II announced last week that the four children of her youngest son, 53-year-old Prince Joachim, would no longer be able to use the title of prince and princess after January 1.
She apologised on Monday for the hurt caused.
But Margrethe stood by the decision which was intended to allow Nikolai, 23, Felix, 20 -- born from Joachim's first marriage -- Henrik, 13, and Athena, 10, to live normal lives without royal obligations.
The move followed a trend among other European royal families to slim down their monarchies, including in Britain where the Windsors face their own family feud.
"Holding a royal title involves a number of commitments and duties that, in the future, will lie with fewer members of the royal family," Europe's only reigning queen said in a statement.
But Prince Joachim saw it as a snub and was quick to speak out in the media.
"On May 5 I was presented with a plan. That this whole issue of my children's identity would be removed when they each turned 25. Athena will turn 11 in January", he told Danish tabloid B.T.
"Then, I received five days' notice" that the decision had been accelerated.
His first wife Alexandra also told B.T. she and her children were "shocked", while her eldest son expressed his sadness.
"I'm very bewildered as to why this had to happen like this", Nicolai told tabloid Ekstra Bladet.
- 'Necessary' decision -
The outpourings sparked surprise in the Scandinavian country, coming just days after the hugely popular royal family had celebrated the queen's 50th anniversary on the throne with pomp and smiles.
There is "no tradition in Denmark of members of the royal family discussing with each other in public", historian Lars Hovbakke Sorensen told AFP.
Prince Joachim said he had "unfortunately" had no contact with his mother or elder brother Crown Prince Frederik since the queen's announcement.
"It's also family. Or whatever one could call it", he told B.T.
In another swipe, his French-born wife Princess Marie said the couple's relationship with Crown Prince Frederik and his Australian-born wife Mary was "complicated".
The media then dug up another old family spat, namely Joachim and Marie's claims that their 2019 move to Paris -- where Joachim is the Danish embassy defence attache -- was not of their "own choice".
Yet the queen's decision did not surprise royal watchers.
It's "natural, reasonable and necessary", said historian Sebastian Olden-Jorgensen.
The queen's four other grandchildren born to Crown Prince Frederik, 54, will retain their titles.
Back in 2016 the queen decided however that when they come of age only the future king, Prince Christian, will receive an appanage.
Stripping Joachim's children's titles is just another move in the same direction, experts said.
"She has wisely chosen to do this herself and not to leave it to her successor, the Crown Prince", Olden-Jorgensen said.
"It is much easier for her to do to this to her son than for him to do it later to his brother," he added.
- 'Total breakdown in communication' -
Nonetheless, the heated reactions by Joachim's family "indicate there is a conflict and a total breakdown in communication," columnist Jacob Heinel Jensen wrote in B.T.
The queen's apology on Monday came in a statement.
"I have underestimated the extent to which my younger son and his family feel affected ... and for that I am sorry," she said.
"I now hope that we as a family can find the peace to find our way through this situation."
An opinion poll conducted by Voxmeter suggested 50.6 percent of Danes support her decision while 23.3 percent disagree.
This is not the royal family's first scandal, though rarely have they been so sensational.
In 2002, the late Prince Consort Henrik made headlines when he fled to his chateau in southern France to "reflect on life", complaining he didn't receive enough respect in Denmark, after Crown Prince Frederik was chosen to represent the queen at a New Year's ceremony instead of him.
And just months before his 2018 death, Henrik, who suffered from dementia, announced he did not want to be buried next to his wife because he was never made her equal.
Z.AlNajjar--SF-PST