-
Germany starts sales process for bailed-out energy firm Uniper
-
Europe-China spacecraft launches to study Earth's 'invisible armour'
-
Tech stocks retreat, oil dips after Trump holds off on Iran attack
-
Stellantis joins race to build mini-EVs for Europe
-
How might this World Cup be won on the pitch?
-
Malians tell of torture and killings by army, Russian fighters
-
EU-China spacecraft takes off on mission to probe solar winds
-
Under Trump pressure, EU eyes deal to end trade standoff
-
'We're here solely to play football,' insists North Korean coach
-
Putin trip aims to show China ties unshakeable after Trump pomp
-
Hanoi hits the brakes on petrol bike ban
-
Japan economy grows faster than expected in first quarter
-
World Cup glory attracts superstar coaches into international battle
-
Stuttering Sabalenka seeks to set down marker at Roland Garros
-
'Little' Freiburg chasing glory in debut European final
-
Villa inspired by former heroes as they target Europa League glory
-
Irrepressible Sinner primed for career Grand Slam at Roland Garros
-
China market for Nvidia AI chips to open 'over time': Huang
-
Asian markets cautious, oil dips after Trump holds off on Iran attack
-
Three killed in San Diego mosque shooting, both suspects dead
-
Love, lust and gnomes as top UK flower show bursts into bloom
-
Fans of historic DC park wary of Trump plan to 'beautify' city
-
As bee population collapses, US apiarists fear research cuts
-
Lights out for Cuban students as blockade bites
-
Campaigners warn Italy's gutted rape bill could help assailants
-
Libyan ex-prison boss faces ICC war crimes hearing
-
Argentine scientists lay first traps in hantavirus hunt
-
Star of Rome's 'sexy priest' calendar admits: 'I was never a priest'
-
Harry Styles fans to splash over £1 bn on London concerts: Barclays
-
Bolivia protest sees violent clashes, looting in La Paz
-
Trump says held off on new Iran attack, upbeat for agreement
-
Los Angeles World Cup workers vow strike over ICE guarantees
-
Three killed in San Diego mosque shooting, two attackers dead
-
US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected
-
Aussie Scott officially set for 100th straight major at US Open
-
Pep Guardiola to leave Man City at end of the season - reports
-
Neymar back in Brazil squad for fourth World Cup
-
Arsenal on the brink of Premier League title after nervy Burnley win
-
Oil rises, global stocks mixed as markets track Iran developments
-
World Cup winner Pavard confirms Marseille exit
-
Trump says holding off on new Iran attack
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks; Washington adds sanctions
-
Trump says delaying Iran attack at request of Gulf leaders
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks and Washington issues sanctions
-
After mayor's murder, Mexico battles to bring peace
-
Trump admin creates $1.7 bln fund to compensate allies prosecuted under Biden
-
Pelicans name Mosley as coach, two weeks after Magic firing
-
Hyderabad qualify for IPL play-offs along with Gujarat
-
'Girl in the River Main' identified 25 years on, father arrested
-
Musk loses blockbuster OpenAI suit as jury says too late
French prosecutors urge 10-year term for alleged Kardashian theft ringleader
Prosecutors on Wednesday urged a French court to hand a 10-year prison sentence to the main suspect in the 2016 robbery of US celebrity Kim Kardashian in a Paris hotel after a trial that saw the influencer testify.
The reality TV star has said in a massively followed court appearance last week that she feared she would be killed by the masked men who robbed her at gunpoint of some $10 million of jewellery in her hotel room in the early hours of October 3, 2016.
But she also expressed her forgiveness despite the "trauma", with most of the suspects men now in their 60s and 70s and dubbed the "Grandpa robbers" in the French media.
"I know, just as you do, that among the 10 accused, eight proclaim their innocence," prosecutor Anne-Dominique Merville told the court on Wednesday.
"Yet my firm conviction is that they are all guilty."
"They were masked, wearing gloves, they were going to sequester her and tie her up. They have no empathy for Kim Kardashian, for the receptionist," she said.
She requested that the alleged mastermind behind the robbery -- Aomar Ait Khedache -- be sentenced to 10 years in prison.
He has admitted to tying up Kardashian, but denies being the ringleader of the robbery.
Khedache, 69, "gave orders", recruited others, and travelled to Belgium to sell the jewellery, according to the prosecutor who was due to give sentencing requests for the other suspects later on Wednesday.
- Ageing defendants -
The attackers threatened Kardashian with a gun, tied her up and taped her mouth. They made off with valuables most of which have never been recovered, including a diamond ring given to Kardashian by her then-husband, rapper Kanye West, and valued at 3.5 million euros ($3.9 million).
None of the accused are currently in detention and whatever the verdict of the court -- expected to be announced on Friday -- they are above all seeking to avoid any return to jail.
The charges of armed robbery and sequestration meant some of the accused could face up to 30 years in prison. The prosecution was not expected to ask for terms anything close to this, but could demand that some of the accused be immediately placed in custody due to the seriousness of the robbery.
The court will also have to take into account the fact that several key defendants are already ailing.
Yunice Abbas, 71, who wrote a controversial book about the robbery and had already undergone heart surgery while in pretrial detention, suffers from Parkinson's disease.
And Aomar Ait Khedache, meanwhile, is completely deaf and virtually mute, suffering from a condition that requires him to go to the bathroom every hour, slowly leaning on a cane.
G.AbuOdeh--SF-PST