-
Tourism boom pushes limits of Athens air traffic control
-
Clark fends off McIlroy to win BMW Championship
-
Liga holders Barcelona crush Elche, Atletico salvage Villarreal draw
-
Raphinha, Lopez hit braces as Barcelona trounce Elche
-
Spain's World Cup hero Torres saves PSG's blushes at Rennes
-
Macron hosts Saudi crown prince for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Swiss forward Embolo joins Atlanta United
-
Jamieson gets Trump call after ending 14-year golf title drought
-
Former cricket captains appeal to Pakistan over Khan health care
-
Norwegian King Harald's health has 'deteriorated': palace
-
Latest 'Spider-Man' tops American box office for 4th weekend
-
Man City snatch late win in Maresca debut, Iraola's Liverpool rescue dramatic draw
-
Szoboszlai's last-gasp leveller rescues Liverpool in Newcastle draw
-
Trump takes starring role at Washington's IndyCar debut
-
Landfill collapse kills 30 in Guinea
-
Villa boss Emery says it's down to Watkins to explain absence
-
'Unbelievable' Cherki proves his point to Man City boss Maresca
-
Duplantis labours to 'super difficult' pole vault win at Silesia Diamond League
-
10-man Atletico snatch Villarreal draw as Alvarez returns
-
Max smash at zany Zandvoort: Three stories from the Dutch GP
-
Seville, Jefferson-Wooden roar to 100m wins at Silesia Diamond League
-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
Hamilton admits 'slow' Mercedes car 'hurts'
Lewis Hamilton said on Thursday that the "slow" nature of his Mercedes car last weekend in Belgium "hurt", as the seven-time world champion prepares for his bid to bounce back at this weekend's Dutch Grand Prix.
The Briton admitted his opening-lap crash and Mercedes' lack of overall performance had been a blow -- and heaped praise on rivals Red Bull for their brilliant display at Spa-Francorchamps.
World champion and runaway series leader Max Verstappen led Red Bull team-mate Sergio Perez home in a one-two that left their competitors gasping.
"I don't want to use the word disappointment because there are 2,000 people at the factory working so hard to get it right and, of course, I wish that we had got it right and had upgrades to push us forward," Hamilton, whose race ended in a collision with old rival Fernando Alonso, told reporters in Zandvoort.
"I wish we were fighting at the front, but that isn't the way it is... It hurts. Believe me, it hurts. But I have a responsibility to keep morale high. We've got to push and not be discouraged. But, yes, it sucks –- and the car is slow."
On a trying day for the 37-year-old Briton, Alonso, who had called him "an idiot" when they collided last Sunday, went to visit him at the Mercedes motorhome and apologised.
Hamilton had reportedly left an autographed cap with "For Fernando" written on it at the motorhome for the Spaniard, who at 41 is the only driver in the paddock older than Hamilton.
Alonso was later seen leaving with the cap in his hand.
He said his comments about Hamilton were not true.
"It was something you say in the heat of the battle, but none of what I said is true or there are facts to prove otherwise. I have a huge amount of respect for Lewis.
"At those moments, fighting for the top three, I said partly because of the adrenaline some things I shouldn't have said. After the race I also said it was a racing incident. In the future, I will pay more attention to what I say on the radio.
"Firstly, Lewis is a champion. A legend. And if you say something, and I'm sorry to repeat it, to a British driver, the media will write about it a lot after that."
Hamilton was also put into an awkward position when comments he made 11 years ago, describing Red Bull as "just a drinks company", were recalled.
"A few years ago, I said something about them being a drinks company and it was really just highlighting that you would bet on a car manufacturer more than them, but they've proved me wrong and they've done a great job.
"(Chief technical officer) Adrian (Newey) obviously did his thesis on ground effect cars at university so it's no surprise what he's done this year. It's impressive. But I believe in the young guns in my team that we'll catch up."
B.AbuZeid--SF-PST