Sawt Falasteen - Quintana to appeal Tour de France disqualification at CAS

NYSE - LSE
CMSC -0.84% 21.102 $
BCC 0.85% 82.47 $
RELX 1.48% 35.91 $
RBGPF 0% 68.56 $
RYCEF -1.23% 20.25 $
AZN 0.9% 165.98 $
BCE -0.3% 23.71 $
RIO 2.97% 105.3 $
GSK 0.86% 52.41 $
NGG -1.08% 79.76 $
JRI -0.24% 12.38 $
CMSD -0.67% 20.98 $
VOD -0.31% 15.96 $
BTI -0.87% 56.21 $
BP -0.85% 44.76 $
Quintana to appeal Tour de France disqualification at CAS
Quintana to appeal Tour de France disqualification at CAS / Photo: Marco BERTORELLO - AFP/File

Quintana to appeal Tour de France disqualification at CAS

Nairo Quintana has lodged an appeal against his Tour de France disqualification for taking a banned pain medication with the Court of Arbitration for Sport, the tribunal announced Thursday.

Text size:

The Colombian was stripped of his sixth-place finish for taking tramadol, a synthetic opioid which has been on a list of cycling's prohibited substances since 2019.

"At this time, it is not possible to indicate when the final decision will be announced," the court said in a statement.

A panel of arbitrators must be appointed before the date for a hearing can be set.

Traces of tramadol and its two main metabolites were found in two dried blood samples provided by Quintana on July 8 and 13 during the Tour, the International Cycling Union (UCI) said last month.

As a first-time offender, he was not banned from further competition and had been free to compete in the Vuelta a Espana.

However, the 32-year-old withdrew from the race the day before it started, saying he did not have "the head or the body for competition".

Quintana was the first Colombian to win a Grand Tour when he claimed Giro d'Italia glory in 2014. He triumphed in the Vuelta two years later.

N.Awad--SF-PST