-
Tourism boom pushes limits of Athens air traffic control
-
Clark fends off McIlroy to win BMW Championship
-
Liga holders Barcelona crush Elche, Atletico salvage Villarreal draw
-
Raphinha, Lopez hit braces as Barcelona trounce Elche
-
Spain's World Cup hero Torres saves PSG's blushes at Rennes
-
Macron hosts Saudi crown prince for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Swiss forward Embolo joins Atlanta United
-
Jamieson gets Trump call after ending 14-year golf title drought
-
Former cricket captains appeal to Pakistan over Khan health care
-
Norwegian King Harald's health has 'deteriorated': palace
-
Latest 'Spider-Man' tops American box office for 4th weekend
-
Man City snatch late win in Maresca debut, Iraola's Liverpool rescue dramatic draw
-
Szoboszlai's last-gasp leveller rescues Liverpool in Newcastle draw
-
Trump takes starring role at Washington's IndyCar debut
-
Landfill collapse kills 30 in Guinea
-
Villa boss Emery says it's down to Watkins to explain absence
-
'Unbelievable' Cherki proves his point to Man City boss Maresca
-
Duplantis labours to 'super difficult' pole vault win at Silesia Diamond League
-
10-man Atletico snatch Villarreal draw as Alvarez returns
-
Max smash at zany Zandvoort: Three stories from the Dutch GP
-
Seville, Jefferson-Wooden roar to 100m wins at Silesia Diamond League
-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
Former champion Mir joining Honda as MotoGP musical saddles revs up
Former world champion Joan Mir has agreed to ride for Honda for 2023 and 2024, while Miguel Oliveira and Raul Fernandez will join Aprilia-RNF, as the chain of MotoGP seat changes continued on Tuesday.
Mir, who won the title in 2020, did not have a ride for next season, because his current team Suzuki is quitting MotoGP.
"Honda Racing Corporation are proud to announce the signing of Joan Mir. The 24-year-old will compete aboard the Honda RC213V in the Factory Team on a two-year contract alongside Marc Marquez," the Japanese team said in a statement.
Honda needed a rider because Pol Espargaro had already announced he was headed to the rebranded KTM/GasGas team.
That team is racing as KTM/Tech3 this season with Spaniard Fernandez as one of their riders.
Meanwhile Portuguese rider Oliveira is racing this season with the main KTM team, which has already announced it is signing Australian Jack Miller for next season.
At Honda, Mir, who turns 25 on September 1, will be one half of a potentially potent dreamteam. His teammate, fellow Spaniard Marquez, has six world titles but is still battling back from a 2020 crash which saw him undergoing a fourth operation on his right arm at the beginning of June.
Mir won the Moto3 title in 2017 on a Honda. He moved up to MotoGP with Suzuki in 2019 and won the title in the Covid-curtailed 2020 season. He also collected his solitary race victory that season in Valencia.
Mir suffered a fractured right foot in a crash in the last race in Austria and will miss the next round this weekend at Misano in Italy.
"We will take advantage of all my experience accumulated over the years in MotoGP with Suzuki to contribute as much as possible to the project and to fight together to become world champions again," he said in the Honda statement released on Tuesday.
Oliveira and Fernandez are also joining a changing team as RNF switches from Yamaha bikes to Aprilias next season.
Oliveira, 27, has won four Grands Prix. Fernandez, 21, is currently 24th in his first season in MotoGP. Last year he placed 2nd in the Moto2 class with eight wins.
This is the first time that the Italian manufacturer Aprilia, which employs riders Aleix Espargaro and Maverick Vinales in its main team, will have a satellite team and therefore four bikes in MotoGP.
"It has not been a simple process, but together with Aprilia we were very clear on the riders that we wanted. They are both young riders with a good combination of experience," said RNF principal Razlan Razali.
G.AbuGhazaleh--SF-PST