-
Tourism boom pushes limits of Athens air traffic control
-
Clark fends off McIlroy to win BMW Championship
-
Liga holders Barcelona crush Elche, Atletico salvage Villarreal draw
-
Raphinha, Lopez hit braces as Barcelona trounce Elche
-
Spain's World Cup hero Torres saves PSG's blushes at Rennes
-
Macron hosts Saudi crown prince for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Swiss forward Embolo joins Atlanta United
-
Jamieson gets Trump call after ending 14-year golf title drought
-
Former cricket captains appeal to Pakistan over Khan health care
-
Norwegian King Harald's health has 'deteriorated': palace
-
Latest 'Spider-Man' tops American box office for 4th weekend
-
Man City snatch late win in Maresca debut, Iraola's Liverpool rescue dramatic draw
-
Szoboszlai's last-gasp leveller rescues Liverpool in Newcastle draw
-
Trump takes starring role at Washington's IndyCar debut
-
Landfill collapse kills 30 in Guinea
-
Villa boss Emery says it's down to Watkins to explain absence
-
'Unbelievable' Cherki proves his point to Man City boss Maresca
-
Duplantis labours to 'super difficult' pole vault win at Silesia Diamond League
-
10-man Atletico snatch Villarreal draw as Alvarez returns
-
Max smash at zany Zandvoort: Three stories from the Dutch GP
-
Seville, Jefferson-Wooden roar to 100m wins at Silesia Diamond League
-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
Court rejects Cardiff appeal over Sala transfer fee
The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) on Friday dismissed an appeal by Cardiff against having to pay the first instalment of the transfer fee for Argentine footballer Emiliano Sala, who died in a plane accident en route to his new club.
CAS threw out the appeal filed by the former English Premier League side against French club Nantes, after being ordered to pay six million euros ($6 million).
The proceedings only concerned the first instalment of the 17-million-euro total transfer fee.
Flown by pilot David Ibbotson, the small plane carrying the 28-year-old striker came down in the Channel en route to Cardiff on January 21, 2019, two days after signing for the Bluebirds.
Lausanne-based CAS confirmed that Sala's transfer had been fully completed prior to his death.
While Nantes welcomed the ruling, Cardiff said they expected to appeal against the decision and would not be paying anything in the meantime.
In September 2019, the Bureau of the FIFA Players' Status Committee ordered Cardiff to pay the first part of the transfer fee.
Cardiff appealed to CAS over the decision in November 2019. The parties requested the hearing be held in person, which was not possible before the end of 2021.
The hearings took place on March 3 and 4 this year.
"After taking into due consideration all the evidence produced and all the arguments put forward by both clubs, the CAS panel found the player's transfer from FC Nantes to Cardiff City FC to have been completed," CAS said in its decision.
"Because the conditions set out in the transfer agreement were fulfilled prior to the player's death, FC Nantes' claim for the first instalment of the transfer fee in the amount of six million euros was upheld."
The CAS panel also confirmed that it was not for FIFA to entertain Cardiff's claim "that it was not required to pay any transfer fee to FC Nantes, because FC Nantes could be liable for the player's death and that such tort claim was to be set off against any payment obligation with respect to the transfer fee".
- Cardiff mulling appeal -
Nantes welcomed the decision, saying the court had ruled, as they had always argued, that the transfer had been completed when Sala died.
"Consequently, CAS ordered Cardiff City to pay the transfer fee to FC Nantes and sentenced Cardiff to a historically high sum, in respect of procedural costs and arbitration costs," the Ligue 1 side said in a statement.
"FC Nantes is delighted that this procedure -- initiated by Cardiff City then delayed on numerous occasions by Cardiff City -- which has been difficult for all those close to Emiliano, is finally over."
Cardiff said it was disappointed with the outcome.
"The award fails to decide the crucial question of FC Nantes (and its agents)' liability for the crash, which will therefore have to be decided in another forum," the Bluebirds said in a statement.
"Once the club's lawyers have digested the reasons for the decision we expect to appeal and will not be making any payments to FC Nantes in the meanwhile.
"If those appeals are unsuccessful and the club is liable to pay the transfer fee the club will take legal action against those responsible for the crash for damages to recover its losses. This will include FC Nantes, and its agents."
H.Nasr--SF-PST