-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
-
Watkins and Martinez could join Villa exodus says Emery
-
Judge allows UK rugby brain injury court case to continue to trial
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail £9.5mn
-
Trump announces temporary tariff relief on ground beef imports
-
Aligned Launches $ALIGN, the Native Token of Its Full Ethereum Stack
-
Pope to visit San Marino, address Italian political event
-
Bitcoin jumps, stocks bounce as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
All Blacks just as good as Springboks, says captain Savea
-
Man City boss Maresca hit with Doku injury blow
-
Romania holding suspected 'low-level agent' after pistols found near Berlin: Germany
-
Iraola wants to sign wingers to boost Liverpool's attacking options
-
UK forecasts 'biggest' El Nino will smash records, spark hottest year
-
Maresca needs time to succeed after 'big changes' at Man City
-
Cyclist Alaphilippe attracts tributes as reports say he has quit
-
Meghan faces difficult return to the UK
-
Top-ranked An, holder Yamaguchi reach badminton worlds semi-finals
-
Archer double strengthens England's grip on first Test against Pakistan
-
Iran president says time to end war while in position of strength
-
MEXC Lists Ondo Tokenized Stock Moderna (MRNAON), Expanding Access to U.S. Biotech Exposure
-
Antonelli fastest in sole Dutch GP practice session
-
Japan axes Netflix collaboration after outcry over dating show
-
2,500 dead and rising -- UN says DR Congo Ebola outbreak 'growing exponentially'
-
Stocks tread cautiously as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
England all out for 409, lead Pakistan by 238 runs in 1st Test
-
STARTRADER Launches XAUUSD247, Extending Gold CFD Access Across the Full Week
-
Premier League returns with Arsenal eyeing title dynasty
-
Spurs agree deal to sign Man City's Savinho: reports
-
Bayern knew about Musiala's condition 'a long time ago' says Kompany
-
US-sanctioned ICC head warns against 'demise of international rule of law'
-
Ex-Pakistan PM Khan taken back to jail after hospital checks
-
Top India court orders new steps to protect threatened elephants
-
Real Madrid star players are compatible: Mourinho
FIFA chief forced to defend Balogun World Cup reprieve
FIFA chief Gianni Infantino on Monday defended the decision to reprieve US World Cup star Folarin Balogun after Donald Trump said he had appealed directly to the head of world football's governing body over the issue.
Balogun, the US team's outstanding player at the World Cup, had been set to miss the last-16 game against Belgium in Seattle later Monday after receiving a red card in the victory over Bosnia-Herzegovina in the previous round.
But on Sunday FIFA said it was suspending the card, allowing Balogun to play against Belgium, sparking a furore.
The uproar showed no signs of abating with just hours to go until the 5:00 pm (0100 GMT Tuesday) kickoff of the biggest game in the history of American soccer.
FIFA also dismissed Belgium's appeal over the decision as "inadmissible".
Belgium's football association said earlier it had "still not received any decision or any explanation from FIFA regarding this matter".
Under pressure to explain FIFA's decision to allow Balogun to play, Infantino insisted on Monday that his organization's disciplinary process was independent and he could not influence it.
That came after Trump confirmed he had contacted Infantino directly about the red card.
Trump told reporters at the White House he had called Infantino, with whom he has built a close relationship, "because I didn't think it was a foul".
"All I did was ask for a review, I didn't say you have to do this," Trump added.
Infantino said he had explained to Trump that "there was an ongoing legal process involving FIFA's independent judicial bodies and that the case would be decided in due course by the competent bodies".
- 'Crosses red line' -
The football chief said he always read the decisions handed down and "sometimes I am surprised by them. Sometimes I agree with them, and sometimes I disagree."
He added: "What I always do, however, is respect those decisions and the autonomy of the bodies that make them."
European football's governing body UEFA said FIFA had "crossed a red line" by allowing Balogun to play.
"Football, like any other sports, relies on rules, which are the basis for fair, honest and transparent competition. Sometimes rules are open to interpretation. In this case not," UEFA added.
It also warned of the ramifications for the sport as a whole.
"Football is the most loved sport in the world because it is a beautiful game and is trusted because is played everywhere with the same laws," UEFA said.
"A tournament is never a pure standalone and, if the tournament in question is the World Cup, it has the power to drive positive or negative consequences on the game as a whole."
Belgium coach Rudi Garcia said he thought it was an April Fool's joke when he heard Balogun's card had been suspended, while Norway coach Stale Solbakken said FIFA had made "a big mistake".
Jurgen Klopp, who is set to be Germany's next coach, also hit out, saying: "This is our game, not theirs... If Trump and Infantino really worked this all out between themselves, that's crazy. It calls everything into question."
Former England and Manchester United star Gary Neville said FIFA's decision represented "a stain" on the World Cup.
"(Trump) rang up somebody at FIFA and asked them to change their mind, and lo and behold, an independent committee then changed their mind," Neville said. "It stinks."
Infantino said he often discussed events at the World Cup with Trump.
"I regularly discuss matters related to the FIFA World Cup with the President of the United States, and on this matter, I did receive a call from President Donald Trump," he said.
"Just as I receive calls from heads of state, government officials, football stakeholders and business executives from around the world on many different issues."
Infantino, a Swiss-Italian who has led FIFA since 2016, was a frequent visitor to the White House in the buildup to the World Cup.
Last year he awarded Trump a newly created FIFA peace prize, which he presented to the president at the World Cup draw in Washington.
H.Darwish--SF-PST