-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
-
Watkins and Martinez could join Villa exodus says Emery
-
Judge allows UK rugby brain injury court case to continue to trial
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail £9.5mn
-
Trump announces temporary tariff relief on ground beef imports
-
Aligned Launches $ALIGN, the Native Token of Its Full Ethereum Stack
-
Pope to visit San Marino, address Italian political event
-
Bitcoin jumps, stocks bounce as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
All Blacks just as good as Springboks, says captain Savea
-
Man City boss Maresca hit with Doku injury blow
-
Romania holding suspected 'low-level agent' after pistols found near Berlin: Germany
-
Iraola wants to sign wingers to boost Liverpool's attacking options
-
UK forecasts 'biggest' El Nino will smash records, spark hottest year
-
Maresca needs time to succeed after 'big changes' at Man City
-
Cyclist Alaphilippe attracts tributes as reports say he has quit
-
Meghan faces difficult return to the UK
-
Top-ranked An, holder Yamaguchi reach badminton worlds semi-finals
-
Archer double strengthens England's grip on first Test against Pakistan
-
Iran president says time to end war while in position of strength
-
MEXC Lists Ondo Tokenized Stock Moderna (MRNAON), Expanding Access to U.S. Biotech Exposure
-
Antonelli fastest in sole Dutch GP practice session
-
Japan axes Netflix collaboration after outcry over dating show
-
2,500 dead and rising -- UN says DR Congo Ebola outbreak 'growing exponentially'
-
Stocks tread cautiously as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
England all out for 409, lead Pakistan by 238 runs in 1st Test
-
STARTRADER Launches XAUUSD247, Extending Gold CFD Access Across the Full Week
-
Premier League returns with Arsenal eyeing title dynasty
-
Spurs agree deal to sign Man City's Savinho: reports
-
Bayern knew about Musiala's condition 'a long time ago' says Kompany
-
US-sanctioned ICC head warns against 'demise of international rule of law'
-
Ex-Pakistan PM Khan taken back to jail after hospital checks
-
Top India court orders new steps to protect threatened elephants
-
Real Madrid star players are compatible: Mourinho
Red-card U-turn rocks World Cup as England face Azteca test
The World Cup was plunged into uproar on Sunday after FIFA suspended a red card given to United States star Folarin Balogun ahead of the host nation's clash with Belgium, in a bombshell move welcomed by President Donald Trump but slammed as "astonishing" by Belgian officials.
The extraordinary FIFA ruling means that Balogun is now free to play for the World Cup co-hosts on Monday when they face Belgium in Seattle with a place in the quarter-finals at stake.
The forward, who has scored three goals at this World Cup, had been set to miss the match after being sent off for inadvertently treading on Bosnia defender Tarik Muharemovic in the USA's 2-0 victory in the last 32 on Wednesday.
Under FIFA rules, a straight red card automatically triggers a one-game ban, which cannot be appealed by the player's team.
United States Soccer Federation officials had not attempted to challenge the sanction, and Balogun himself had accepted the punishment.
But world football governing body FIFA said Sunday Balogun's ban will now be suspended for a year, without offering any specific explanation.
"Thank you to FIFA for doing what was right, and reversing a great injustice!" Trump -- a close friend of FIFA President Gianni Infantino -- wrote on his Truth Social platform.
But the Royal Belgian Football Association reacted furiously at the move, adding that it was "investigating all potential options" in response to the decision.
"The Royal Belgian Football Association (RBFA) is astonished by FIFA's decision to declare suspended United States player Folarin Balogun eligible to play in the USA-Belgium match on Monday," it said in a statement.
FIFA's ruling came three days after US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said the US team had been "screwed" by the decision to send off Balogun.
"They got screwed with that red card," Rubio said during a brief White House appearance. "There needs to be an appeal process for that. It's probably too late for that, right?" the diplomat added.
- Azteca blockbuster -
The off-field intrigue came as the battle for quarter-final places at the tournament heats up with two highly anticipated last-16 matches.
In Mexico City, excitement was building for England's encounter with co-hosts Mexico at the Azteca, 40 years after the Three Lions' iconic 'Hand of God' match against Argentina at the 1986 World Cup at the iconic venue.
England will need to overcome the challenge of altitude, with the Azteca sitting some 2,240 metres (7,350 feet) above sea level.
After visiting the stadium on Saturday, England manager Thomas Tuchel said at his pre-match press conference: "It just catches you straight away once you get in here and see the excitement and see the emotions."
Mexico coach Javier Aguirre has questioned whether the altitude would be a factor, insisting the game would come down to a contest of "11 v 11".
The 67-year-old told reporters his team would have to play a "near-perfect match" to beat England, who are fourth in the FIFA rankings to Mexico's tenth place.
Sunday's game is due to kick off at 6:00pm local time (0000 GMT). Storms are forecast to hit Mexico City at around kick off.
The winner on Sunday will face a quarter-final in Miami against Norway or Brazil, who meet at the MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey, where severe storms were also forecast. The US national weather service has issued a regional flood warning.
Brazil coach Carlo Ancelotti cut a relaxed figure on Saturday as he discussed how his team planned to tackle Norway's in-form striker Manchester City forward Erling Haaland, who has scored five goals in three appearances at the tournament so far.
Haaland will line-up against a familiar opponent, Brazil defender Gabriel Magalhaes, who plays for City's Premier League rivals Arsenal.
Brazil's other central defender, Marquinhos, has also faced Haaland while on duty for Paris Saint-Germain.
"Everyone knows how he works," Ancelotti said of Haaland. "I have nothing to explain to my defenders how to play against him. They've obviously played against him several times."
Norway coach Stale Solbakken meanwhile has urged his team to focus on their opponents rather than the size of the occasion as they take on the five-time world champions.
"We need to make sure that we don't play according to the occasion, but that we simply play the match," Solbakken said.
B.Mahmoud--SF-PST