-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
-
Watkins and Martinez could join Villa exodus says Emery
-
Judge allows UK rugby brain injury court case to continue to trial
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail £9.5mn
-
Trump announces temporary tariff relief on ground beef imports
-
Aligned Launches $ALIGN, the Native Token of Its Full Ethereum Stack
-
Pope to visit San Marino, address Italian political event
-
Bitcoin jumps, stocks bounce as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
All Blacks just as good as Springboks, says captain Savea
-
Man City boss Maresca hit with Doku injury blow
-
Romania holding suspected 'low-level agent' after pistols found near Berlin: Germany
-
Iraola wants to sign wingers to boost Liverpool's attacking options
-
UK forecasts 'biggest' El Nino will smash records, spark hottest year
-
Maresca needs time to succeed after 'big changes' at Man City
-
Cyclist Alaphilippe attracts tributes as reports say he has quit
-
Meghan faces difficult return to the UK
-
Top-ranked An, holder Yamaguchi reach badminton worlds semi-finals
-
Archer double strengthens England's grip on first Test against Pakistan
-
Iran president says time to end war while in position of strength
-
MEXC Lists Ondo Tokenized Stock Moderna (MRNAON), Expanding Access to U.S. Biotech Exposure
-
Antonelli fastest in sole Dutch GP practice session
-
Japan axes Netflix collaboration after outcry over dating show
'Proud' Marsch says Canada better side in World Cup exit
Coach Jesse Marsch said his Canada side had been the better team and hopes this is just the start after the co-hosts bowed out of the World Cup in the last 16 to Morocco on Saturday.
Canada were playing in the biggest match in their footballing history and were on top in the first half in Houston.
But in a niggly game, Morocco scored three times in the second period for a 3-0 win that was not an accurate reflection of the match.
Canada had never won a World Cup game prior to this edition, but as co-hosts with the United States and Mexico they won two matches, and reached the knockout rounds during a historic run.
"Before the tournament, if we would have said we're in the last 16, I think we would have been pretty satisfied," said the American Marsch.
"And by the way, before today, if someone said your team was gonna play like that, I would have said, 'Okay, there's a good chance we're going to win the match'.
"But we totally, totally controlled the first half. And even at the start of the second half we were the aggressor, we were the ones that controlled the match. We were the ones that were more likely to score."
It did not turn out like that, with midfielder Azzedine Ounahi scoring twice before Soufiane Rahimi netted a third for Morocco with the last kick of the game.
Marsch, who oversaw wins over Qatar in the group phase and then South Africa in the last 32, added: "The way we pushed, the way we were in the match, the quality we showed, the overall impact in the match, we were better."
The former Leeds United manager felt that "on another day, maybe we get the lead and maybe we get the win".
Marsch hopes the breakout tournament will be just the start for Canadian football.
Asked what he said to his heartbroken players, he said: "First of all I told them that I was proud of them, and I challenge them to understand that... we can play like this all the time.
"Against the best teams in the world, we can be better. And then the challenge is can we hold that standard for 90 minutes?
"Can we make sure that we continue to build the depth of what we're doing with the team? Can we build that into our youth national teams?
"Can we build a real Canadian DNA into the kind of football we want to play, into the kind of infrastructure we want to have, into the kind of academies and the way we teach the game?
"But in terms of the commitment of the group and making the country proud and making the programme proud, they couldn't have done more."
O.Mousa--SF-PST