-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
-
Watkins and Martinez could join Villa exodus says Emery
-
Judge allows UK rugby brain injury court case to continue to trial
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail £9.5mn
-
Trump announces temporary tariff relief on ground beef imports
-
Aligned Launches $ALIGN, the Native Token of Its Full Ethereum Stack
-
Pope to visit San Marino, address Italian political event
-
Bitcoin jumps, stocks bounce as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
All Blacks just as good as Springboks, says captain Savea
-
Man City boss Maresca hit with Doku injury blow
-
Romania holding suspected 'low-level agent' after pistols found near Berlin: Germany
-
Iraola wants to sign wingers to boost Liverpool's attacking options
-
UK forecasts 'biggest' El Nino will smash records, spark hottest year
-
Maresca needs time to succeed after 'big changes' at Man City
-
Cyclist Alaphilippe attracts tributes as reports say he has quit
-
Meghan faces difficult return to the UK
-
Top-ranked An, holder Yamaguchi reach badminton worlds semi-finals
-
Archer double strengthens England's grip on first Test against Pakistan
-
Iran president says time to end war while in position of strength
-
MEXC Lists Ondo Tokenized Stock Moderna (MRNAON), Expanding Access to U.S. Biotech Exposure
-
Antonelli fastest in sole Dutch GP practice session
-
Japan axes Netflix collaboration after outcry over dating show
Swiatek dumped out of Wimbledon by Eala, Serena withdraws from doubles
Iga Swiatek's Wimbledon title defence was ended by the Philippines' Alexandra Eala in a third-round shock on Saturday, while "heartbroken" Serena Williams was forced to withdraw from the doubles tournament.
Kazakh second seed Elena Rybakina also crashed out, leaving the bottom half of the women's singles draw wide open.
Swiatek slipped to a 7-6 (11/9), 6-2 defeat on Centre Court as 29th seed Eala reached the last 16 of a Grand Slam tournament for the first time.
It is six-time Grand Slam champion Swiatek's earliest exit from a major tournament since another third-round defeat, by Yulia Putintseva, at Wimbledon two years ago.
Eala had already made history for the Philippines by becoming the first player from the Southeast Asian nation to reach the third round of a Grand Slam in the Open era.
"I'm really emotional and maybe for someone like Iga who has won so many Slams, or someone like Serena or Venus (Williams), this achievement might seem small," Eala said.
"But for someone who grew up in the Philippines... I trained with my mother and my grandfather every day after school with ruffled socks and chubby cheeks... so this is everything."
The left-hander, who had only won one match at a Slam before this week, will next face former Wimbledon runner-up Jasmine Paolini on Monday.
The 25-year-old Swiatek failed to bounce back from a disappointing last-16 defeat at the French Open, where she is a four-time winner.
She made 44 unforced errors as she struggled to regroup after missing two set points in a dramatic tie-break which decided an 84-minute first set.
- Rybakina out early -
Former Wimbledon champion Rybakina also suffered a surprise exit in a 7-6 (7/4), 6-1 defeat against Elise Mertens on Court One.
Rybakina was hoping to follow her Australian Open triumph in January by winning Wimbledon for the second time.
The world number two was unable to emulate her 2022 victory at the All England Club as Belgian 25th seed Mertens produced a major upset.
"Definitely not happy," said the Kazakh, whose hopes of taking the world-number-one ranking from Aryna Sabalenka next week were also dashed.
"I just try to move on. I mean, I lost so many times. I'm sure I'm still going to keep losing. It's impossible to win everything."
Rybakina, 27, also endured a disappointing early departure from the recent French Open, losing to Yuliia Starodubtseva in the second round.
Mertens will play Czech 21st seed Marie Bouzkova for a quarter-final place.
- Williams sisters withdraw -
Williams and her sister Venus were due to play in the doubles first round on Saturday, but Serena announced just hours before the match that her knee had not healed enough to play.
The 44-year-old Serena suffered the injury during her first-round singles defeat by Maya Joint on Tuesday.
That was her first singles match since the 2022 US Open after four years in retirement.
Tournament organisers delayed the Williams sisters' first-round tie until Saturday to give Serena "as much time" as possible to recover.
"I'm heartbroken to have to withdraw from doubles," the 23-time Grand Slam singles champion said on Instagram.
Serena and Venus last played the women's doubles at the All England Club in 2016, when they won their 14th and most recent Grand Slam title as a duo.
- Zverev eyeing deep run -
Men's French Open champion Alexander Zverev continues his title bid against American Marcos Giron.
The German second seed has never got past the last 16 in nine previous appearances at Wimbledon.
He has a golden opportunity to do that this year, with title favourites Jannik Sinner and Novak Djokovic in the opposite side of the draw.
Grigor Dimitrov goes up against former Wimbledon finalist Matteo Berrettini later on Centre Court in a battle of two wounded warriors, after enjoying an emotional second-round victory over Czech rising star Jakub Mensik.
Fifth seed Alex de Minaur booked his place in the fourth round for a third consecutive year with a four-set win over American Zachary Svajda.
K.Hassan--SF-PST