-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
Sinner survives scare and fall to reach Wimbledon second round
Reigning champion Jannik Sinner twice fought back from a set down to battle past Serbia's Miomir Kecmanovic and avoid a huge shock in the Wimbledon first round on Monday.
The world number one was in danger of suffering a second successive early Grand Slam exit, after his second-round loss at the French Open last month, but he recovered to win 4-6, 6-3, 6-7 (6/8), 6-2, 6-3 on Centre Court.
Sinner would have been the first defending champion to lose in the Wimbledon first round since Lleyton Hewitt in 2003, but he will instead face Portugal's Nuno Borges on Wednesday for a place in the last 32.
"It was a very, very different feeling," Sinner said in his on-court interview when asked how starting his Wimbledon title defence compared to a regular match.
"There were a lot of nerves when I went down the stairs to the court, knowing that it's such a prestigious court. Coming here as defending champion means a lot to me."
It is the Italian's first tournament since collapsing from two sets and 5-1 up to lose to Juan Manuel Cerundolo at Roland Garros.
"It's a huge honour to start the tournament and be the first player (on Centre Court)," said the 24-year-old.
"I was a little tight in the first set and it was my first match on grass of the season."
Sinner is the red-hot favourite for the men's title in the absence of his injured rival Carlos Alcaraz.
He lost his footing on several occasions on the slippy grass surface, but avoided sliding out of the tournament.
"I got lucky there because things can go wrong very, very quickly," Sinner said of one hefty fall in the third set.
"I tried to still trust in my movement. Also third, fourth and fifth sets it was very important to keep moving in a very natural way, which I did. I'm very glad nothing happened."
- Sinner's slow start -
Kecmanovic surprisingly took the first set as a nervy Sinner gave up the only break in a ninth game which featured back-to-back double faults.
He found his rhythm sufficiently in the second set to level the match.
There was a nervy moment for Sinner midway through the third set when he slipped at the back of the court and stayed motionless for 30 seconds, as the concerned chair umpire left her chair to approach him.
But after gingerly getting back to his feet, Sinner's movement did not seem to be significantly impaired, despite bleeding from a broken toe nail.
Kecmanovic pushed him all the way to a tie-break, and then saved set point in a marathon rally before taking the third set himself as Sinner sent a backhand sailing long.
The top seed gathered himself again, though, to send the match into a decider with a clinical fourth set.
Sinner had lost his last five five-set matches, and he took a seven-minute break ahead of the final act on this occasion.
A single break in the sixth game put him 4-2 ahead, and he confidently served out the victory.
I.Matar--SF-PST