-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
Pochettino frustrated by injured Richards' World Cup status
Coach Mauricio Pochettino on Friday said injured defender Chris Richards will not play in the United States' friendly against Germany and expressed frustration that the player's status in the World Cup squad remains in doubt.
Crystal Palace center-back Richards has 36 US caps and would likely be Pochettino's first-choice at the heart of defense alongside captain Tim Ream, but Richards picked up an ankle injury last month.
The US will tune up against Germany in Chicago on Saturday without Richards, who was named in the tournament squad but could still be replaced under FIFA rules until 24 hours before the co-hosts' opening game.
"Today, he's training... but he's still not ready to compete and to play," Pochettino said Friday.
After the Germany game "we have the possibility in the next few days to assess him and see his ankle... and then to make a decision."
Hosting the World Cup alongside Canada and Mexico, the US opens its campaign in Los Angeles next Friday against Paraguay. Other group opponents include Australia and Turkey.
The US beat Senegal in a friendly last weekend, but a defense built around 38-year-old Ream and Toulouse center-back Mark McKenzie looked shakey, shipping two goals to Sadio Mane.
Richards has not played since Palace's clash with Brentford on May 17. He was an unused substitute for Palace's Europa Conference League final on May 27.
Pochettino voiced frustration about Richards' recovery timeline, suggesting he may not have picked the player for his squad had he known the true status of his ankle.
"When we decided on the squad list, we thought Chris might play in the Conference League final," said Pochettino, in Spanish.
"Based on the information we had, we believed he could play that final -- and he was actually on the bench for it -- and perhaps even be available against Senegal.
"In the end, the timelines dragged on a bit. It makes me a bit angry -- I'm not happy about it -- because we know Richards is an important player. We all know that.
"But regarding the information we were working with -- sometimes there's a lack of clarity."
Pochettino suggested waiting for Richards to recover might prove detrimental to the squad, as "we'd end up with a player who hasn't been competing, and then we'd have to decide if he's fit enough to play.
"There isn't much time at the World Cup."
W.Mansour--SF-PST