-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
Spanish teen Jodar fights back to reach first Slam quarter-final
Rafael Jodar continued his dream French Open debut by roaring back from two sets down to beat Pablo Carreno Busta and reach his first Grand Slam quarter-final on Sunday.
The 19-year-old Spaniard, playing at a major for only the second time, downed his compatriot 4-6, 4-6, 6-1, 6-2, 6-2 on Court Suzanne Lenglen.
Jodar was ranked 707th in the world this time last year, losing in the first and second rounds of second-tier Challenger events in the United States during the 2025 French Open.
Twelve months on, he will face either second seed Alexander Zverev or Dutch lucky loser Jesper de Jong for a semi-final place at Roland Garros.
"It's different, I'm the same person," said Jodar. "I appreciate all the people who came here to support me today... It was amazing to play here."
Jodar, who reached the quarter-finals in both Madrid and Rome earlier in the clay-court season, moved to a tour-best 19 wins on the red dirt this year, overtaking Jannik Sinner.
Carreno Busta was eyeing a first Grand Slam quarter-final since his run to the 2020 US Open semis, when he infamously defeated Novak Djokovic via default in the fourth round.
The 34-year-old fought back from 4-1 down to take the opening set, before stretching his run of consecutive games to nine en route to opening up a two-set advantage.
Jodar took a lengthy break before the start of the third and emerged rejuvenated, racing through the set in 30 minutes to get himself back into the match.
Carreno Busta, a former top-10 player now ranked 89th, opted for a medical time-out before the fourth set.
But it did not have the desired effect, as Jodar forced a decider, hammering 10 winners and breaking twice in the set.
He romped through the fifth set as well, sealing victory despite wobbling from 40-0 up in the final game on his fifth match point with a rasping forehand.
C.AbuSway--SF-PST