-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
Farewell 'going better than expected' for French Open quarter-finalist Cirstea
Sorana Cirstea said her farewell year is "going way better than expected" after the Romanian veteran reached the French Open quarter-finals for the first time in 17 years on Sunday.
The 36-year-old downed Chinese world number 148 Wang Xiyu 6-3, 7-6 (7/4) in the last 16 and will next face either Russian eighth seed Mirra Andreeva or Switzerland's 170th-ranked Jil Teichmann.
Cirstea has said she will retire at the end of the season, but hinted she could yet have a rethink after backing up her semi-final run at the Italian Open by equalling her previous best performance at Roland Garros.
"This year, it's going way better than I expected," said Cirstea, who arrived in Paris at a career-high ranking of 18th.
"I came into my last year, wanted to go out the front door of the sport, wanting to really do well, but I didn't really think it was going to go that well...
"I haven't really thought about it. I'm just trying to take it week by week, and I'm not going to do anything different.
"I'm not going to try now to change things or put any pressure. Of course, we will assess things as we go, but at the moment the decision is the same."
Cirstea will make her second French Open quarter-final appearance on Tuesday, hoping to improve on when she lost to Samantha Stosur in the 2009 last eight.
"Back then I was a kid, just started on tour," she said.
"Didn't know exactly too much what was happening. I was just playing, and I was just at the beginning of my career.
"Of course, now I have so many years behind me. I have so much experience, maturity. I feel I'm a completely different player.
"It's just very, very different... But in the same time it's very beautiful. I'm very grateful for everything that's happening."
Cirstea got a double break ahead to lead 5-1 in the first set before Wang hit back as the Romanian served for the opener.
The 18th seed made no such error the second time around as she polished off the set in just under an hour on Court Suzanne Lenglen.
The second set followed much the same rhythm as the first with Cirstea storming to five games before Wang fought back.
This time the 25-year-old took Cirstea all the way as the veteran had to dig deep to stave off her opponent in a tie-break.
T.Khatib--SF-PST