-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
Middlesbrough face Hull in football's richest game after 'spygate' row
Middlesbrough and Hull will meet in the richest game in world football at Wembley on Saturday, competing for a place in the Premier League in a match overshadowed by Southampton's "spygate" saga.
Saints were expelled from the Championship play-offs this week after admitting to spying on opponents' training sessions, with beaten semi-finalists Middlesbrough reinstated.
Boro accused Southampton of snooping on them before the first leg of their play-off semi-final earlier this month.
A photograph subsequently emerged of a man standing behind a tree, apparently recording images on his phone.
The English Football League said Southampton had been kicked out after admitting to "multiple breaches of EFL regulations related to the unauthorised filming of other clubs' training".
Saints also admitted to spying on Oxford and Ipswich earlier in the campaign and were handed a four-point deduction for next season in the English second tier.
Middlesbrough boss Kim Hellberg said in his pre-match press conference on Thursday that the spying scandal had taken its toll.
Asked about his dreams of victory, he said: "I don't sleep. I haven't slept for one and a half weeks, I think, so there are no dreams.
"Hopefully, I get a good night's sleep today, and then I will tell you about the dreams tomorrow."
Hull manager Sergej Jakirovic told the BBC his team had been "collateral damage" in the drama.
He told reporters that Southampton had "crossed a line" but questioned what value they could have got from doing it.
Jakirovic has been waiting to find out who his team's opponents would be due to legal hearings.
"When you (the media) told me about 'spygate' after the first leg (of the semi-final against Millwall), I started to laugh, because why (would you do it)?
"I know everything about every team, and this is my first season here, I know every player -- but this is my job."
- Financial prize -
Football finance experts Deloitte said the team that makes it to the Premier League, alongside already promoted Coventry and Ipswich, stands to earn at least £205 million ($275 million) over the next three seasons.
That could rise to around £365 million if the club survives their first season in the Premier League.
The figures take account of projected increases in matchday, broadcast and commercial revenues.
"Irrespective of the events of the last couple of weeks, this fixture is always one of the most eagerly anticipated in the football calendar, representing the biggest financial prize in world football," said Tim Bridge, lead partner of Deloitte's Sports Business Group.
Hull and Middlesbrough were both relegated from the Premier League in 2017.
Southampton's appeal against expulsion was dismissed on Wednesday, with Boro, beaten 2-1 on aggregate in the semi-finals, replacing Saints.
Southampton chief executive Phil Parsons said the sanctions imposed were "manifestly disproportionate".
The club's player of the year Leo Scienza described the punishment as "heartbreaking" and said fans "definitely deserved better".
"For me, the dream of playing in the Premier League was something I fought for with everything I had," he posted on Instagram. "That's why this pain cuts so deep."
Tonda Eckert's future as Southampton boss is now in major doubt, while reports suggest players are considering legal action against the club.
The Football Association said Thursday it was investigating Southampton and considering whether charges should be brought.
D.AbuRida--SF-PST