-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
Southampton sanctions explained as ruling documents released
Southampton were expelled from the promotion play-off because a fine would have been insignificant if they had won promotion to the Premier League, said documents from the Independent Disciplinary Commission released on Thursday.
Saints admitted observing a training session held by semi-final opponents Middlesbrough earlier this month, as well as two other similar incidents during the season.
Southampton beat Middlesbrough in their semi-final play-off but were found guilty by English Football League (EFL) of spying on a training session.
Southampton were also docked four points for next season.
The club appealed. But the independent commission, run by Sports Resolution, condemned Southampton's tactics, calling them "a contrived and determined plan from the top down to gain a competitive advantage in competitions of real significance by deliberate attendance at opposition training grounds for the purpose of obtaining tactical and selection information."
The ruling was scathing about what it called "a particularly deplorable approach in its use of junior members of staff to conduct the clandestine observations."
"Junior members of staff were put under pressure to carry out activities that they felt were at the least morally wrong."
Middlesbrough were reinstated and face Hull at Wembley on Saturday for a place in the Premier League.
Southampton appealed to the commission.
"The integrity of the Play-Off competition was seriously violated," the 12 page document said. It "constituted a deliberate attempt to gain unfair advantage."
The documents said the ruling was unanimous and that the commission believed lesser sanctions would fail to discourage a repeat because promotion to the Premier League is worth an estimated £200 million ($268 million) in extra revenue.
The English Football Association said it was looking at whether it should also bring charges.
An FA spokesperson said Thursday: "We will now investigate and won't comment further until we have assessed the evidence."
Saints chief executive Phil Parsons meanwhile said the sanctions imposed were "manifestly disproportionate".
Kicking the club out of the play-offs denies them a shot at a Premier League place.
The commission mentioned the involvement of head coach Tonda Eckert, whose future as Southampton boss is in doubt.
Saints, relegated from the Premier League last year, said in a statement that "trust now needs to be rebuilt".
Reports suggest players are considering legal action against the club.
Southampton player of the year Leo Scienza described the punishment as "heartbreaking" and said the club's fans "definitely deserved better".
"We gave everything for this dream," he posted on Instagram. "Day after day, sacrifice after sacrifice, always believing we could bring this club back to where it belongs.
"For me, the dream of playing in the Premier League was something I fought for with everything I had. That's why this pain cuts so deep."
At the 2024 Paris Olympics, Canada's women's team -- the defending champions at the time -- were found guilty of spying on New Zealand, using a drone.
Football's world governing body, FIFA, banned three members of staff, including the head coach Bev Priestman, from football for a year, and docked them six points.
The winners of Saturday's play-off final will join already promoted Coventry and Ipswich in the Premier League next season.
M.AbuKhalil--SF-PST