-
Man City snatch late win in Maresca debut, Iraola's Liverpool rescue dramatic draw
-
Szoboszlai's last-gasp leveller rescues Liverpool in Newcastle draw
-
Trump takes starring role at Washington's IndyCar debut
-
Landfill collapse kills 30 in Guinea
-
Villa boss Emery says it's down to Watkins to explain absence
-
'Unbelievable' Cherki proves his point to Man City boss Maresca
-
Duplantis labours to 'super difficult' pole vault win at Silesia Diamond League
-
10-man Atletico snatch Villarreal draw as Alvarez returns
-
Max smash at zany Zandvoort: Three stories from the Dutch GP
-
Seville, Jefferson-Wooden roar to 100m wins at Silesia Diamond League
-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
'Tough night' for McIlroy after Open disappointment
Rory McIlroy endured a "tough night" after an agonizing Open Championship defeat extended his major drought, but the Northern Ireland star said the misery didn't linger.
McIlroy held a share of the 54-hole lead at St. Andrews last month and was two up through nine holes in the final round before Australian Cameron Smith surged away with a 64 to take the Claret Jug with a 20-under par total.
"That night was tough," McIlroy, a four-time major winner, said Wednesday as he prepared for the US PGA Tour St. Jude Championship in Memphis, Tennessee.
"The few days after it were OK, I guess. It probably took me three or four days to sort of get back to myself again. But I think what softened the blow a little bit, I felt -- I should have got the ball up and down on 9, 12 and 14.
"But apart from that, I didn't lose it. I think that's what made it a little easier to get over. The fact that Cam went out and shot 30 on the back nine ... It's not as if I went out there, shot 75," said McIlroy, who was 18-under for the tournament.
"I think because of how I played, it made it I guess just a little easier to get over."
McIlroy said he spent two weeks on holiday in Britain after the final major of the year, not touching a club.
"It was nice to take that little break," he said. "I felt like I needed it. I feel refreshed and ready to go for the playoffs."
McIlroy said the fact that he did little wrong at St. Andrews and still couldn't bag a fifth major was less frustrating than encouraging.
"I think it's more, if I keep playing like that in major championships, the law of averages suggests that I'm going to get myself back in the winner's circle eventually," he said.
"If I keep playing the way I've been playing in the bigger tournaments, the law of averages would suggest that I'm going to get myself a trophy at some point."
U.Shaheen--SF-PST