-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
Sinner demands 'respect' from Grand Slams, Djokovic lends support in prize money row
Jannik Sinner called on Thursday for Grand Slam tournaments to show tennis players respect in a row over prize money, as Novak Djokovic pledged his support to the players in their battle with the sport's major events.
Last year almost all the leading players signed two letters to the four Grand Slam bosses demanding an increase in prize money, payments into a player welfare fund to improve retirement and maternity benefits, as well as involvement in decisions that affected them.
The letters set a target of a 22-percent share in tournament revenue, which would bring the majors in line with the nine combined 1000-level events run by the ATP men's tour and the women's WTA tour.
But Sinner told reporters at the Italian Open in Rome that the players were no nearer an agreement with the organisers of Wimbledon and the French, US and Australian Opens.
"It's more about respect. Because I think we give much more than we are getting back. It's not only for the top players; it's for all of us players," Sinner said.
"It's not nice that after one year we are not even close to conclusion of what we would like to have."
On Tuesday women's world number one Aryna Sabalenka said that she was ready to boycott the Grand Slams in order for the players to force organisers' hands.
Those comments came after players said in a statement that last month's announcement by the French Open of a 9.5-percent prize money rise was not good enough.
It said that a 14-percent increase in revenue last year only led to the total prize purse going up by 5.4 percent, reducing the players' share to 14.3 percent.
Sinner coyly suggested he may back players pulling out of Grand Slam tournaments in the future.
"Of course, we talk about money, but the most important is respect, and we just don't feel it. I think we players, we are a bit disappointed also of the outcome of Roland Garros, for example. So let's see what's coming," added Sinner.
"So I do understand players talking about a boycott because it's somewhere we also need to start... Then we see in the future."
- Djokovic backs player power -
Sinner will begin his bid for a record-extending sixth consecutive Masters 1000 title against one of Sebastian Ofner or Alex Michelsen on Saturday.
The Italian, a four-time Grand Slam winner, is on a 23-match winning streak and is red-hot favourite for singles victory in front of his home fans, with rival Carlos Alcaraz injured.
Djokovic, who returns to action in Rome on Friday against Dino Prizmic after a shoulder injury kept him out of the Miami, Monte Carlo and Madrid events, backed the players in their battle.
The 24-time Grand Slam winner founded the the breakaway Professional Tennis Players Association (PTPA) in 2021 in a bid to wrest more power for the players after a disillusioning spell as president of the ATP's player council.
Djokovic, 38, has argued for more player power in the sport and again on Thursday insisted that the current set-up is stacked against the lower-ranked and grassroots players, who he says "are leaving tennis because of no funding".
"I'm glad that there's willingness from the leaders of our sport, like Sabalenka, to really step up and really understand the dynamics of how tennis politics works, understand the nuances and really what needs to be done, not only for her benefit and well-being, but for everyone." said Djokovic.
"That's true leadership for me and I think that she needs to maintain that... my position is very clear, I support the players and always will support the stronger player position in the ecosystem."
M.Qasim--SF-PST