-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
Howe says Saudi backers are fully behind Newcastle
Eddie Howe said Friday he was certain that Newcastle's Saudi backers remain firmly behind the club's efforts to establish itself as one of the best in the world.
The 48-year-old Magpies boss said he had held "constructive" discussions with Yasir Al-Rumayyan, governor of Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF), which holds an 85 per cent stake in the Magpies.
Al-Rumayyan is also the chairman of the Premier League club.
The PIF said Thursday it was withdrawing its multi-billion dollar backing of LIV Golf at the end of the season, plunging the future of the breakaway tour into doubt.
But Howe said he believed Newcastle's backers were still committed to the vision they had when they took control at St James' Park in October 2021.
Asked if he had been given any assurances about PIF's future financial support, Howe said: "No, and I didn't seek any either.
"But I'd say that what came through was the determination to succeed and to continue to grow the club in every aspect.
"The desire is unchanged, to try and get to the top of the Premier League, to try and win as many trophies consistently as possible.... They are very ambitious for the football club.
Howe admitted Newcastle's Premier League campaign had been a disappointment after he twice guided the club into the Champions League and ended their decades-long wait for a major trophy last season.
"They were challenging conversations, challenging questions, but that's all part of it," he said.
"Those meetings, I've had that every year regardless of our league position where you'll be challenged and probed on certain decisions that you've made, how we've ended up in certain scenarios, and then you explain the process behind it.
"This year, of course, slightly more difficult questions because of our league position, there's no getting away from that."
Howe's own future has been a topic of intense debate in recent weeks following a run of nine defeats in 12 Premier League games, which has left Newcastle in 14th place in the table and eight points clear of the relegation places.
The Englishman, whose team host Brighton on Saturday, insists he remains fully focused on taking the club forward.
"I have to retain that confidence. I don't think that serves anybody not to have that long-term vision," he said. "But we need to win games."
J.AbuHassan--SF-PST