-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
Formula One drivers welcome rule tweaks, but say more change needed
Formula One's drivers on Thursday welcomed rules tweaks made on safety grounds, but warned that more was needed to improve the racing at this weekend's Miami Grand Prix.
Speaking at an official news conference, most drivers said the changes made to the levels of 'super-clipping' and of battery power harvesting would reduce dangers, but have little overall effect on the spectacle in the sport's new hybrid era.
While Aston Martin's Canadian driver Lance Stroll lambasted the new formula as "fundamentally flawed" and a thousand times less fun than Formula Three, others took a more positive approach.
"The positive thing is that we had some nice meetings with F1 and the FIA and I think that's probably a starting point for the future even if there is time for that or maybe I'm not here anymore," said four-time champion Max Verstappen, who has struggled this season.
Verstappen had been a leading critic of this season's changes, accusing F1 of losing its identity and suggested that he was contemplating his future if the sport did not take action to salvage its heritage as an all-out test of power and speed for drivers and machines.
"I really hope that the driver have more input to the organisers in general because most drivers have a good understanding and a good feel of what is needed to make F1 a good product, a fun product."
"At the end of the day, it's a very complex and political sport, but at least I think everyone has tried their best to do something — but, of course, it won't change the world!"
The conflict has stemmed from this year's introduction of the 50-50 split between use of battery power and traditional engine power in an attempt to create a greener sport.
Many drivers feel the sport needs more naturally aspirated power from an engine and less from the battery.
"It's a step in the right direction," said Audi's Nico Hulkenberg. "I'm curious to see how it feels and works on track now."
McLaren's Oscar Piastri said the collaboration had produced good changes, but added that he felt the chief problems could not be fixed without a fundamental overhaul of the hardware of the power units.
He said it was good that the rules had been tweaked to reduce the huge imbalance in performance and speed between cars that are using maximum power and those slowing to harvest and store battery power.
A crash in Japan involving Oliver Bearman of Haas, who escaped serious injury left many drivers worried about similar future accidents.
"After Olly's crash, something needed to change and it is good that they listened to us," said Piastri. "The tweaks are good, and sensible and well thought out so it is a positive thing, but let's wait and see how it pans out from a safety point of view."
Many drivers and observers had criticised the formula for producing artificial racing controlled by computers and the needs for management of battery power.
P.Tamimi--SF-PST