-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
Saudi wealth fund to cut LIV golf funding after 2026 season
Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF) is cutting funding for the breakaway LIV Golf league after the 2026 season, a spokesperson from the fund told AFP on Thursday.
The announcement came hours after LIV Golf, founded in 2021 as a rival to the PGA Tour, said it was seeking to secure "long-term financial partners".
It has reportedly cost PIF over $5 billion so far to operate the series after signing many of the world's top players including Major winners Bryson DeChambeau and Spaniard Jon Rahm.
Saudi's powerful wealth fund, however, said funding for the project would be axed as PIF looked to pare back a string of projects in the kingdom with the war in the Middle East raising fresh speculation about investment priorities moving forward.
"PIF has made the decision to fund LIV Golf only for the remainder of the 2026 season," a spokesperson for the fund said in a statement provided to AFP.
"The substantial investment required by LIV Golf over a longer term is no longer consistent with the current phase of PIF's investment strategy."
The spokesman went on to say the decision had been made in light of "PIF's investment priorities and current macro dynamics".
LIV said earlier Thursday it was searching for new financial backers.
The golf league said it was looking to secure "long-term financial partners to support its transition from a foundational launch phase to a diversified, multi-partner investment model."
There was also no mention in the LIV statement of PIF governor Yasir Al-Rumayyan, who co-founded the dissident league.
The statement simply mentioned two new board members, Gene Davis and Jon Zinman, had joined.
LIV Golf described the duo as "seasoned experts with proven track records of navigating complex situations and unlocking value for global organizations, to guide the league through its next phase."
- Uncertain future -
The PIF statement confirmed rumours, which had circulated for several weeks, that the breakaway tour was on the verge of collapse due to the possible withdrawal of the Saudi financing.
LIV's deep-pocketed backers in Riyadh were rumored to have cooled on the extravagantly expensive project.
LIV Golf CEO Scott O'Neil vowed prior to the announcement to continue the season "full throttle," though he conceded the league would "probably" have to raise money going forward.
A collapse of LIV Golf could jeopardise the careers and earnings of its star players.
The likes of DeChambeau defected from the PGA Tour in acrimonious circumstances, and may face severe penalties if they try to return.
"There were rules, and they were broken," PGA Tour chief executive Brian Rolapp told the Journal this week. "With rules comes accountability."
Brooks Koepka became the first LIV player to return to the PGA fold when the five-time major winner jumped ship last December.
The 35-year-old American's return was made possible as the PGA created a Returning Member Program, described as offering "a route back to elite performers who no longer have contractual limitations preventing them from complying with PGA Tour rules and regulations".
LIV Golf postponed its planned June tournament in New Orleans on Tuesday, with officials saying they hope to reschedule an event for later this year.
LIV's next tournament is set for May 7-10 at Trump National in suburban Washington.
Its final scheduled tournament this season is set to take place in Indianapolis from August 20-23.
Earlier this month, PIF announced its 2026-2030 strategy would reorganise the fund's investments.
The announcement came as the kingdom and wider Middle East has been upended by the ongoing war in the region.
The Gulf was hit hard by Iranian barrages on infrastructure, including airports, energy installations and ports following the US and Israeli attack on Iran in late February.
But even before the war, Saudi Arabia's economic reforms were coming under pressure, with persistently low oil prices in recent years shrinking government revenues and triggering deficit spending.
U.AlSharif--SF-PST