-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
Liam Rosenior sacked as Chelsea manager
Liam Rosenior has been sacked as Chelsea manager following a run of five successive Premier League defeats, the club announced on Wednesday.
The 41-year-old had been in charge for just over three months after being lured away from Strasbourg, the French club which is affiliated to Chelsea's American owners.
Chelsea's 3-0 defeat at the hands of Brighton on Tuesday proved the last straw. It was the first time Chelsea have lost five consecutive league games without scoring a single goal since 1912, a run which has left them seven points adrift of the Champions League places.
"Chelsea Football Club has today parted company with Head Coach Liam Rosenior," read a club statement.
"Liam has always conducted himself with the highest integrity and professionalism following his appointment midway through the season.
"This has not been a decision the Club has taken lightly, however recent results and performances have fallen below the necessary standards with still so much more to play for this season," the statement added.
Calum McFarlane, who was Rosenior's assistant, will be in charge in a caretaker capacity, the club added, with his first match the FA Cup semi-final against Leeds United on Sunday.
The club said it would "undertake a process of self-reflection to make the right long-term appointment."
Rosenior was a surprise choice in January to replace Italian coach Enzo Maresca, who was considered to be popular with the Chelsea players but had fallen out with the owners.
But after promising early signs, Chelsea were knocked out of the League Cup and were then eliminated from the Champions League by Paris Saint-Germain, 8-2 on aggregate, in March.
Cracks in the relationship between the squad and coach have been in evidence for weeks.
The decision to part company with Maresca in January was publicly questioned by Enzo Fernandez and Marc Cucurella.
Fernandez was then dropped for two games for suggesting he would be open to a summer move to Real Madrid and was forced to apologise.
Rosenior's frustration was clear after the defeat to Brighton.
"I have defended the players at times when it was the correct thing but I can't defend that performance. It doesn't represent this football club, it doesn't represent anything I ask from the group and that has to change," the Englishman said, adding: "I feel numb I'm so angry."
Chelsea won the World Club Cup last year and the UEFA Conference League in 2024, but have little else to show for around one billion pounds ($1.35 billion) of spending on players since US investor Todd Boehly took over following Roman Abramovich's trophy-laden ownership of the club.
X.Habash--SF-PST