-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
Mexico prepared to host Iran World Cup games, says president
Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum said on Tuesday that her country is prepared to host Iran's first-round matches at the 2026 World Cup if needed due to the conflict in the Middle East.
Iran's participation at this summer's finals in the United States, Canada and Mexico has been in doubt since the war began last month, with President Donald Trump warning that Iranian players' safety would be at risk if they travelled to the US.
Iran's football federation has opened talks with FIFA about potentially relocating its matches from the United States, though the global governing body has so far maintained that the tournament's schedule remains unchanged.
Asked directly if Mexico was open to hosting the matches, and if the decision will purely come down to FIFA logistics, Sheinbaum told a press conference: "Yes."
"Mexico maintains diplomatic relations with every country in the world, therefore we will wait to see what FIFA decides," she added.
Iran's place at the tournament was thrown into question after the US and Israel launched a massive offensive against the Islamic Republic, which responded with waves of missiles and drones targeting Israeli territory and American targets across the Middle East.
FIFA president Gianni Infantino initially said that Trump had given assurances that the Iranian team -- scheduled to face New Zealand and Belgium in Los Angeles, followed by Egypt in Seattle -- would still be welcome.
But the Republican president then triggered uproar last week after stating that Iran's football team should not travel to the tournament "for their own life and safety".
Iran hit back at Trump's comments saying that "no one can exclude Iran's national team from the World Cup".
- 'Lack of cooperation' -
Iran were the second Asian team after Japan to qualify for the World Cup, securing their place almost a year ago as they topped their qualifying group.
On Monday, Iranian football chief Mehdi Taj wrote on social media: "When Trump has explicitly stated that he cannot ensure the security of the Iranian national team, we will certainly not travel to America."
"We are currently negotiating with FIFA to hold Iran's matches in the World Cup in Mexico."
Iranian soccer authorities "are currently discussing with FIFA whether it is feasible -- since they were originally scheduled to go to the United States -- to see if they can" move Iran's games to Mexico, confirmed Sheinbaum.
"The matter is under review and we will provide an update in due course."
When contacted by AFP on the matter, FIFA said it was "looking forward to all participating teams competing as per the match schedule announced on 6 December 2025".
"FIFA is in regular contact with all participating member associations, including IR Iran, to discuss planning for the FIFA World Cup 2026," a spokesperson said.
The Iran team's base camp for the tournament is currently slated to be located in Tucson, Arizona.
Abolfazl Pasandideh, Iran's ambassador to Mexico, on Monday denounced "the US government's lack of cooperation regarding visa issuance and the provision of logistical support" for the Iranian delegation ahead of the World Cup, in a statement published on the embassy's website.
Should Iran not take part in the World Cup, it is not yet clear which country might replace them.
D.Qudsi--SF-PST