-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
Iran 'negotiating' with FIFA over moving World Cup games to Mexico: embassy
Iran's football federation is "negotiating" with FIFA to relocate the country's first-round matches at the World Cup to Mexico from the United States, citing the conflict in the Middle East, Iran's embassy in Mexico said Monday.
Iran's participation at this summer's finals in the United States, Canada and Mexico has been thrown into doubt since the war began late last month.
"When (US President Donald) Trump has explicitly stated that he cannot ensure the security of the Iranian national team, we will certainly not travel to America," Iranian football chief Mehdi Taj said in remarks posted on the embassy's X account.
"We are currently negotiating with FIFA to hold Iran's matches in the World Cup in Mexico."
Iran are scheduled to face New Zealand and Belgium in Los Angeles, followed by Egypt in Seattle.
The team's base camp for the tournament is currently slated to be located in Tucson, Arizona.
Abolfazl Pasandideh, Iran's ambassador to Mexico, on Monday denounced "the US government's lack of cooperation regarding visa issuance and the provision of logistical support" for the Iranian delegation ahead of the World Cup, in a statement published on the embassy's website.
He added that he had also "suggested to FIFA that Iran's matches be moved from the United States to Mexico."
FIFA did not immediately respond to a request for comment from AFP.
Trump triggered uproar last week after stating that while Iran's football team would be "welcome" in the United States, they should not travel to the tournament "for their own life and safety."
Trump's comments came after FIFA president Gianni Infantino had given assurances that Trump had promised him that the Iranian team would be welcome.
Iran hit back at Trump's comments saying "no one can exclude Iran's national team from the World Cup."
Iran's place at the tournament was thrown into question after the United States and Israel launched a massive offensive against the Islamic Republic, which responded with waves of missiles and drones targeting Israeli territory and American targets across the Middle East.
S.AbuJamous--SF-PST