-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
Laporta's new Barca chapter begins with Newcastle clash
Cava was flowing before the votes had even begun to be counted, and it was spilling everywhere when the counting was done, and long after that too, Barcelona's president reelect Joan Laporta exuberantly shaking a bottle of it in the early hours of Monday morning in his beloved party venue Luz de Gas.
The battle was over, rival election candidate Victor Font dispatched with consummate ease, but now the real fight begins -- with Laporta desperate to propel Barcelona back to the European throne.
Newcastle visit on Wednesday in the Champions League last 16, the tie delicately poised after a 1-1 draw on Tyneside last week, Eddie Howe's men underdogs but posing a clear threat to Laporta's dream as shown by their strong first leg display.
If the last five years were about bringing Barcelona back from the ICU, as he put it after inheriting a tower of debt, then the next five must build on the platform they have created.
Should the Catalan giants go one better than last season, when they reached the semi-finals for the first time in six years, and then triumph in Budapest, theoretically Laporta wouldn't even be the president yet.
His second consecutive mandate -- and fourth in total, having led the club from 2003-2010 -- begins in July, with temporary chief Rafa Yuste in charge until then.
"If Yuste wins this Champions League, it will be wonderful, he is like a brother to me," said Laporta.
However the reality is charismatic 63-year-old Laporta will be pulling the strings, as he did on Sunday's election day, zealously greeting famous faces from the club's past who turned up to vote.
Sergio Busquets was one of them, with the defensive midfielder part of three Champions League triumphs with Barcelona, in 2009, 2011 and 2015.
The latter of those was the last time Barca lifted the trophy, over a decade ago, with all-time great Lionel Messi still at the peak of his powers, still wearing Blaugrana colours.
Losing the Argentine, whom he had pledged to keep at the club, just a few months after taking charge in 2021 was a black mark on Laporta's presidency.
There was plenty to criticise, with the return to the club's partially rebuilt Camp Nou home delayed by a year, and registration issues with Dani Olmo's contract embarrassing the club.
Many feared Laporta's decision to activate the 'palancas' -- financial levers -- would send the club to ruin, selling off future television rights and parts of the club for an immediate cash injection.
- 'Best years of our lives' -
However the approach worked, at least in the short term. Laporta and his sporting director Deco bet the house on Robert Lewandowski, Raphinha, and Jules Kounde, trying to power Barca back to the elite, and in time the deals paid off.
Most importantly, the duo turned to Hansi Flick. That was a gamble too, on the former Bayern Munich coach, but Flick's thrilling attacking football entertained fans and has proven successful.
It led the team to a domestic treble last season, and the final four in Europe where they fell short against Inter Milan.
Flick's side were defensively weak, and that still appears to be the case, with Newcastle aiming to get in behind their high line to cause an upset in Catalonia.
However in teenage winger Lamine Yamal and midfielder Pedri Gonzalez, Barca have arguably the best two players in their positions in the world.
"We are going to live the best years of our lives these next five years," pledged Laporta after his victory, a sizable claim considering he also oversaw the arrival of Ronaldinho, the emergence of Messi and Pep Guardiola's treble-winning campaign in 2009.
With Camp Nou now able to house nearly 63,000 fans, and a planned capacity of 105,000, Laporta believes Barca's finances are now in a healthier position to compete with clubs funded by Gulf states, including Saudi Arabian owned Newcastle.
"No one can stop us," added a jubilant Laporta before heading into the Barcelona night, although 11 years of misery in Europe hints the Catalans are sometimes capable of stopping themselves.
The Magpies' visit gives Barca the chance to begin Laporta's new era with a bang, with a Champions League quarter-final place beckoning.
T.Khatib--SF-PST