-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
Future looks bright for Ireland and Farrell, says ex-Irish prop Ross
Andy Farrell will "not be happy" that Ireland finished runners-up in the Six Nations, but he will be satisfied at the depth he has built with the Rugby World Cup looming next year, former Irish prop Mike Ross told AFP.
The Irish had their hands -- virtually -- on the Six Nations trophy until Thomas Ramos grabbed it back for France with the very last kick of a thrilling tournament, to secure victory over England on Saturday.
Just as last year, the French were the only side to beat the Irish, a 36-14 hammering in the opening game.
Ireland could console themselves with a fourth Triple Crown in five years, after an impressive 43-21 win over Scotland.
Ross, capped 61 times and a member of two Six Nations title-winning sides, said that the Irish deserved a "B plus" for their campaign.
"Ireland got better and better, it would be quite interesting if they were playing France next week," Ross told AFP by telephone on Sunday.
"Andy Farrell won't be happy coming second but he will look back satisfied with several young players like Darragh Murray making their Six Nations debuts.
"Also he experimented with lots of different combinations."
Farrell used more than 30 players in the tournament, with several such as Stuart McCloskey, Robert Baloucoune and Tommy O'Brien oustanding.
Ross, who won two European Cup trophies with Leinster, said that such building of depth puts Ireland in a good place.
Several key players like fullback Hugo Keenan, wing Mack Hansen and prop Andrew Porter missed the entire campaign and face serious competition to regain their starting roles.
Jamie Osborne, Baloucoune and O'Brien, who replaced the injured James Lowe, sparkled at fullback and on the wings.
Even the old warrior Bundee Aki faces a fight for his starting spot, as arguably Ireland's player of the tournament McCloskey was finally given a proper run in the centres.
"Farrell really has succeeded in developing the depth of the squad, I think more so than there was ahead of the 2023 World Cup," said Ross.
"Take the loosehead prop position. There were a few difficult weeks but now there is a bit more optimism.
"Tom O'Toole, who was the fifth choice, was amazing against Wales and Scotland.
"Jeremy Loughman also played well before he was injured, so they both gave an idea of what life without Porter looked like."
- 'Strong as hell' -
As for McCloskey, who has 28 caps, finally making his mark at 33, Ross said he was unfortunate to have been around at the same time as Aki and Robbie Henshaw.
"Most of my caps came when I was in my 30s," added Ross.
Age, though, could be a factor for several of the Irish stars when it comes to the World Cup.
Tadhg Beirne, Tadhg Furlong and Jack Conan will all be in their mid 30s when it kicks-off in Australia on October 1 next year.
"Time does catch up with you," said Ross, who played his last Test in 2016 aged 36.
"The power is the first thing to go. You can be strong as hell but not moving quite as quickly."
Ireland scrum-half Jamison Gibson-Park is another who will be in his mid 30s.
However, 'le petit general', as Ross likes to call him, formed an effective half-back partnership with fly-half Jack Crowley in the final three matches of the tournament.
Crowley had begun the Six Nations behind Sam Prendergast, who at 23 is three years younger than him but was underwhelming against France and Italy.
"He (Crowley) has taken the jersey," said Ross.
"I think he and 'le petit general' are building something together.
"I would fancy Sam to come back into the frame, after rebuilding his confidence at Leinster.
"Ireland are very lucky to have two talented young out-halves."
Globally speaking, Ross believes it is a pretty rosy picture.
"We are in a good place," he said. "I am cautiously optimistic."
pi/bc
Z.Ramadan--SF-PST