-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
After women players defect, Iran hints men will skip World Cup
The head of the Iranian Football Federation on Tuesday cast further doubt on his country's participation in this summer's World Cup, saying women playing in the Asian Cup in Australia had been coerced into defecting.
"If the World Cup is like this, who in their right mind would send their national team to a place like this?" Mehdi Taj asked on Iranian state television.
The men's World Cup will be hosted by the United States, Mexico and Canada, but Iran is scheduled to play all three group games in the United States, two in Los Angeles and one in Seattle.
Its participation has been in out doubt since the United States and Israel started their attacks on Iran which launched reprisals.
On Tuesday, at the Women's Asian Cup in Australia, players from Iran's team claimed asylum.
Five players, including captain Zahra Ghanbari, slipped away from the team hotel under the cover of darkness to claim sanctuary from Australian officials, the Australian government announced.
At least two more team members applied to stay later in the day, according to local media.
Some of the players had been branded "wartime traitors" by Iranian state television after remaining silent during the national anthem before their opening loss to South Korea.
Every player saluted and sang the anthem before the next two group games.
Iran lost both those matches and were eliminated after a defeat to Philippines on Sunday.
Taj said the players had done their part during the anthem.
"Our women's national team sang the national anthem and gave the military salute," he said.
He blamed US President Donald Trump.
"The US president himself... tweeted two tweets about a women's team (saying) 'we welcome them and that they should become refugees'."
"He threatened Australia that 'if you don't grant them asylum, I will give them asylum in the US'.
"How could one be optimistic about the World Cup that is supposed to be held in America?"
- 'Taken hostage' -
Taj claimed the five women players had been kidnapped and the team had been obstructed as it tried to leave Australia.
"After the game, unfortunately, the Australian police came and intervened, removing one or two of the players from the hotel, according to the news we have."
He made reference to an alleged air strike on a school in Minab at the start of the war which Iran has blamed on Israel and the US.
"They martyred our girls in Minab, 160 of them, and in this incident they are taking our girls hostage," Taj said
"They did a terrible thing. Last night, some people came and lay down in front of the car they were driving to the airport," he said.
Crowds had gathered outside the Gold Coast stadium for the game against Philippines banging drums and shouting "regime change for Iran", an AFP reporter saw.
Supporters surrounded the Iranian team bus, chanting "let them go" and "save our girls".
Taj said that at the airport the squad had trouble boarding their flight.
"They completely blocked them at the gate and told everyone to become refugees."
W.Mansour--SF-PST